I Have Invented A New Filter!

Proud Texan

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I was Thinking how the Ocean, Rivers, Lakes Ext. have perfect conditions for the fish that live there well i thought there water is changed from evaporation and replenished by rain that is completely pure. Knowing this i turned that process into a filter that allows you (If Im right) to have perfect water conditions without ever changing your water!!! :hyper: :o :yahoo:

Please read on...

Heres how it works, You have very small siphon going in to a container with Powerful Lights and or Heaters That evaporates the water leaving all minerals waste ammonia, nitrate Ext behind!!! :hyper: It carries the water in the form of a gas to another container that has a chiller in it that turns the gas back it to perfect water! Its like changing your water all the time!
Look at it this way if the filter purifies 55 gals of water a day in a 55 gal Aquarium thats like changing all your water every day safely giving you: 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate!

Heres a picture of what i thought it could look like:

scan_852121227_1-1.jpg


Look if Im completely wrong please don't make fun of me Im only 13
 
Sounds like a good theory, but I think you might have trouble putting it to use. For example, it will take a while for the lamps to get the water to evaporate, and the chilling station could have some problems with it. If you want to try making it, as your parents to help.
You should try it out, it sounds interesting. But then again, I'm no expert on this type of stuff.
 
Sounds pretty good, but where are you going to buy a chiller? I've never seen them on sale, and what purpose does it have in a noncoldwater/marine tank?
 
I see you point but look at it this way even if it only produce 32 cups of water a day thats still 2 gallons a day witch is 14 gallons a week (53 liters) that allows you to have a 30 gal or so(114 liters) and never change the water. youll probably need a power-head for water movement though.
 
And the chiller is for turning the water(gas) into water(liquid). here are the main problems with this idea.

1:Its not easy evaporating alot of water.
2: Chillers are alot of money
3:having this filter for a 75 gal and up will have high energy costs.
 
^sounds like a good idea, but with inflation the way it is, and energy prices going up, i think i'll stick to good ole waterchanges.
 
You are going to be adding pure distilled water back to the tank if this idea works. Zero hardness, which is asking for some major pH swings, not to mention all fish benefit from some minerals in the water.
 
Ya maybe you could filter it through something that made it soft or hard but then it may be too complicated. I think it can work and everything i just dont think its practical.
 
I was about to say just what Tolak did - you're basically distilling the water, and setting yourself up for a ph crash.

Ya maybe you could filter it through something that made it soft or hard but then it may be too complicated. I think it can work and everything i just dont think its practical.

Possible, but you would be adding more complexity... I think you'd be removing it faster than you can put it back in. This does give me an idea - it could be used to prepare pure water at home, which can be mixed with tap water to produce soft water suitable for some fish. You could drop the chiller in this case, and just allow the steam to precipitate into a collector naturally.

I don't think I'd use it to filter a tank with fish, since I don't think it could keep up with the waste output, but it's basically a simple still, and there's a lot of things you can do with a still. Moonshine, anyone?
 
You are going to be adding pure distilled water back to the tank if this idea works. Zero hardness, which is asking for some major pH swings, not to mention all fish benefit from some minerals in the water.
Beat me to it.

Really, this idea is not economical for the very large tanks that it would be useful if installed on, and in the smaller tanks that could install one (semi)cheaply it would be simpler to just do it with a python or the good ol' syphon and bucket method.

Sorry to burst your bubble. It's a good idea, and you're quite clever for coming up with it, but it's just not worth it.

Also, your average aquarium chiller only works with water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top