I Have A Snail!

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
:D

Must have come in on one of my plants as an egg.

Its only tiny but this means I will have a source of snails for my dwarf puffer - when I get one :D
 
yea i wrangled up all my snails that came with my plants and put them in a 1.5 gallon with a giant ball of java moss. when i had my green spotted puffer he would always eat the snails i fed him...very good at controling snail poplations
 
LOL, so you finally joined the snail club, eh? Remember a few weeks back I started off with a single baby snail and now my tank is full of them. They are definitely keeping the tank clean, though.

And when I get my dwarf puffers (I'm really not copying you :hyper: ) the snails will definitely come in handy!

Bet you get your puffers before I do, though - so if you ever run out of snails you know where to come for more!

Oh yeah - what's with the change of avatar? I quite liked your old one. Baileys? You on the bottle now? :lol:
 
I added 10 baby red ramshorn snails to one of my tanks a few weeks back, I must now have in excess of 30 divided between 3 tanks now!!! Love em, keeping my tanks clean bless em :)

Also added 12 MTS a week back, only seen a few since, they have gone underground!
 
LOL, so you finally joined the snail club, eh? Remember a few weeks back I started off with a single baby snail and now my tank is full of them. They are definitely keeping the tank clean, though.

And when I get my dwarf puffers (I'm really not copying you :hyper: ) the snails will definitely come in handy!

Bet you get your puffers before I do, though - so if you ever run out of snails you know where to come for more!

Oh yeah - what's with the change of avatar? I quite liked your old one. Baileys? You on the bottle now? :lol:


Do they eat your brown algae Athena?

Dont count on it, been abit lazy with the cycling :unsure: because I didnt want a puffer with no snails so once these establish themselves in my main tank I'll crack on with it!

regarding the avatar - just fancied a change! and I found a new love for Baileys too :D (and I've always been on the bottle I just hide it very well :P )
 
Lol, my cousin had a snail come with a plant of his. He went on holiday for 3 weeks and I went round to see his tank a few days before he got back, and there were about 200 snails!

Thats why i rinse my plants before putting them in :rolleyes:
 
They do eat brown algae gaz :) Good little clean up crew IMO.
 
aww bless are you going to name him before he gets scoffed :) yeah i agree brilliant new avatar Gaz. you have good taste ;)

shelagh xxxxx
 
Yep, 1st night the ramshorns were in the tank, they ate all the brown algae off my filter/pump - took them a few days to finish off what was on the plants - then started work on the sides - lord knows what they are eating now - as I have no brown algae left!!! But they are breeding like mad :)
 
Its been 2 months since I last bought plants for my 50 gallon and just a few days ago I noticed a bright green snail crawling on the side glass. Today when cleaning I counted 2 but they are not the bright green color they are now a light brown. Not sure if there are multiple species of snail, if it changed color or if there are more hiding. I cant find any bright green ones now so I guess i'm crazy. They are all about the size of a pea and are very hard to spot. Move pretty quickly for there size. Anyone know how big these things might get or how likely it is they will spawn and I will end up with 200 and have to kill them? Id rather just let them be if they wont cause problems.

You can actually see one in this pic in the top left of the tank near the water line. The green speck.

073.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top