I Has A Question About Shrimps

spectrum

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
379
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Derbyshire
At one of my LFS' the other day, i was considering buying some shrimps, they had two types, cherry and ammano, the guys said that ammano were a bad idea because they eat all the plants up, so i should get cherries, but the little red guys were 4 pounds more each than the ammano's. DO ammanos eat all the plants? If so is 4.50 to much to pay for cherries?
Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks, Spectrum
 
At one of my LFS' the other day, i was considering buying some shrimps, they had two types, cherry and ammano, the guys said that ammano were a bad idea because they eat all the plants up, so i should get cherries, but the little red guys were 4 pounds more each than the ammano's. DO ammanos eat all the plants? If so is 4.50 to much to pay for cherries?
Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks, Spectrum


hi not sure about ammanos, I have 40ish cherries and they dont eat the plants, just keep the aquarium spotless!- they are good to watch too
£4.50 each is about £3.00 more than you should be paying for cherries! Just check the for sale section of this site....
 
At one of my LFS' the other day, i was considering buying some shrimps, they had two types, cherry and ammano, the guys said that ammano were a bad idea because they eat all the plants up, so i should get cherries, but the little red guys were 4 pounds more each than the ammano's. DO ammanos eat all the plants? If so is 4.50 to much to pay for cherries?
Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks, Spectrum
I got told cherries try to jump out of your tank i really dont no if this is true but ye ammano do have a nibble on plants but if your saying that the cherrys was £4.50 and there £4 more expensive than ammanos this means ammanos are 50p if so wheres your LFS lol
 
that is WAYYY 2 much for cherry shrimp! i say if u really want some, buy 2, a boy and a girl, and then let them breed so u dont hav to buy alot of them. or u could look on aqua bid.
 
amano shrimp will not eat plants if there is algae and will readily accept algae disk or bottom feeder food. Cherry shrimp can be bought for less then a dollar each online. I do not know the conversion rate but i think 1 dollar is less then a pound.
 
I got told cherries try to jump out of your tank i really dont no if this is true but ye ammano do have a nibble on plants but if your saying that the cherrys was £4.50 and there £4 more expensive than ammanos this means ammanos are 50p if so wheres your LFS lol
Really, i wouldnt advise going there :sick: its terrible, i only popped in for a look cos' i'd never been before.
But now, im never going again. lol

Thanks For replyin guys :hooray:
 
i have one Amano and 4 Cherry shrimp, none have eaten the plants and none have jumped out of the tank.

I paid £1.99 for both types of shrimp :)
 
I have had my x 3 amano shrimp for 6 months and they do a great job of cleaning up all the algae off of my plants and rocks and picking up uneaten food from the bottom - they never eat the plants!
 
Amano shrimps actually get their common name from Takashi Amano a well known Aquarist. From Wiki:

A species of freshwater shrimp is named the “Amano shrimp” or "Yamato shrimp" (Caridina multidentata; previously Caridina japonica) after him. After discovering this species' ability to eat large quantities of algae, Amano asked a local distributor to special order several thousand of them. They have since become a staple in the freshwater planted aquarium hobby.
 
I breed and sell cherry shrimps and i've never seen a cherry shrimp jump out of my tank and it isnt covered. Very easy to catch when i sell them but the amano are sprightly guys leaping out of the net. If you want any give me a shout or check my adverts. I dont have many amanos left.
 
Cherrys and amanos are both capable of "walking around" outside of the water surface.

I have never had any cherries make a bid for freedon - but when I moved house, my Amanos didnt like the new tank position or something and they made a bid for freedom. I found one behind the tank dried up and dead, and one was halfway down the stairs!! (about 60 ft away)

The certainly can climb the wires hanging into and out of tanks, and can walk to find another water source (in nature they would cross ground to reach new ponds etc.)

Shall say a again tho - never had trouble with cherries - only amanos.
 
never had any trouble with my amanos and plants, they'll graze on the algae but not eat the plant
 
but when I moved house, my Amanos didnt like the new tank position or something and they made a bid for freedom. I found one behind the tank dried up and dead, and one was halfway down the stairs!! (about 60 ft away)

Ahaha thats nuts!

I do like the look of cherry shrimp but there also kinda creepy :lol: Id be worried about having copper trace in the water and killing the little fellows
 
amanos will only leave the tank oif there is a problem with the water chemistry other wise they DO NOT get out and walk around
 

Most reactions

Back
Top