I Finally Have (Natural) Cory Fry.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
In approximately October last year,..... I chucked a couple of Cories (Bronze & Albino) into an outside pond and hoped they would just multiply naturally..... I eagerly watched them for a month or two, & since nothing happened.... I lost interest and just did my water changes and feeding.

Our fall (season) has just past and we are at the start of what seems to be a very cold winter.... For some reason, their (hang-on) filter stopped running this morning, (while I was at work), so my wife did the chores of priming the filter and spotted a couple of small (Bronze) fry......

After work,I switched off the filters and did some further searching and could see a number of fry of various sizes and ages..... (biggest being about 1/4").....

Since there are so many leaves and other debris at the bottom of this pond, it is impossible to say just how many there are, but they definitely are..... (Most of the time I cannot even see the adults - (being 4ft deep and very dark down there)

I'll just continue with my water changes and feeding and then in October, I'll empty the pond and move all the fish to their new quarters...... (There are also lots of snails in their current pond, so I assume I'm losing a lot of eggs to them)

My Peppered Cory's bred one year in my 1000L pond with resident goldfish/ comets in the depths of winter. I didn't discover the half grown babies until I gave the pod it's spring clean and then I found 54 juvi's nice fat and healthy. My pond always has a heap of leaf litter in the bottom that allows all sorts of pond creatures to find a home and become a meal for the fish.

Congrats :good: on your unexpected fry.

Congrats ludwig :good:

It will be interesting to hear how many you find come october :)

Wow!... they really are fast growers...... Those 1/4 inch fry are now 1/2 inch fry....

Yep, and once they start spawning they usually wont stop. Ive had a spawn of close to 150 eggs before. Having the leaf litter at the bottom of the pond is also good for the fry. Looks like you are off to a great start! :good:

Wow!... they really are fast growers...... Those 1/4 inch fry are now 1/2 inch fry....

Yep, and once they start spawning they usually wont stop. Ive had a spawn of close to 150 eggs before. Having the leaf litter at the bottom of the pond is also good for the fry. Looks like you are off to a great start! :good:

congratz

Nope!!!..... I'm giving this up as a bad job..... They seem to maintain their numbers, but not really multiplying...... I think I'll have to move them to another pond as their current pont has many snails in it and the snails may be eating the eggs..... I'm currently " sun-soaking" a pond to ensure that all the snails and their eggs are completely dead before I'm going to refill it and try not to get snails in with the transfer of the fish...... So!..... the project will start from scratch.....

That's a shame that they haven't kept multiplying is there only the cory's and the snails in the pond? I know the parents will eat their own eggs but when I found my 54 the adult cory's and goldfish must have feasted on hundreds. Also could the temp be playing a part in lack of breeding? Mine bred in the depths of our winter it was only in spring/ summer when I cleaned the pond that I found all the half grown young. In my tanks mine are always sure to breed when their is a huge weather change coming through, rain really sets them off.

Good luck with your future breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back