I don't know what's wrong with my danio!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seabee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to this forum, as in just joined haha, but I joined because I've been doing research for a few weeks to find what is wrong with my zebra danio and nothing seems to match.
Her name is Lilly and she's currently in a hospital tank, she's been isolated from her other two buddies, who both after careful monitoring show absolutely no sign of disease (phew!). Now, back to Lilly, Lilly is very bloated, she is eating healthily, very playful, swimming just as she normally would and other than physical showing no signs of disease, I've checked her old tanks water, there is no trouble with ammonia, nitrite or ph, her only symptoms are a bloated belly (no protruding pinecone scales), and pinky purpley mark on her belly which I think is her anus but uncertain, her poo is normal and no signs of worms, bulging eyes, ich or anything else. Literally. I have double triple quadruple checked her and all I see is what I've said, she's had no attitude changes whatsoever and even still comes up to greet me when I come near the tank. She has been in her hospital tank for nearing a month and a half I'd say, for which her symptoms have persisted, I've tried fasting and shelled peas but I swiftly switched back to her normal flake, I've been treating her consistently with interpret anti internal bacteria and since about a week ago with interpret aquilibrium salt, regular water changes and monitoring water levels, and yet nothing seems to be working. Something that I probably should mention is she is very old, I think 3 nearing 4 years, I really want to do everything I can to help her but is this just her time to pass. I have included some photos of her
Please help, I can't bear the idea of my lil friend being in pain.
15840325809533379385080495556689.jpg
15840326911083495223246603995051.jpg
15840327664905578803822894303732-jpg.99164

Attachments

• 15840327664905578803822894303732.jpg
    15840327664905578803822894303732.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 153
How big is the hospital tank? How big is the tank she was originally in?
I know you said the peas didn't help, but I would try them again.
Also, flakes tend to cause bloat like this in fish because they ingest a lot of air when they eat them. I would recommend that you buy some pellets for her to eat instead of flakes. Hikari micro pellets and bug bites tropical formula are both very good.

How big is the hospital tank? How big is the tank she was originally in?
I know you said the peas didn't help, but I would try them again.
Also, flakes tend to cause bloat like this in fish because they ingest a lot of air when they eat them. I would recommend that you buy some pellets for her to eat instead of flakes. Hikari micro pellets and bug bites tropical formula are both very good.
Thank you for replying, her original tank is 75l which she shared with 2 other danios, her current hospital tank is only 15l, I'll give peas another go, do I leave the shells on or off? I'll try and buy some pellets tomorrow, I may as well start feeding the other two pellets.

I wouldn't leave her in the hospital tank too much longer. It doesn't sound like she has anything that the other danios could get. For the peas, they do have to be shelled. Then you can kind of crush it up and they will eat the little pieces as they float to the bottom.
Also, kind of an unrelated question, but is there a reason you only had 3 danios in such a big tank?

I'll probably wait another week or so then move her back, also I've only had the tank 5 or 6 months, I plan to get a few more fish in the future, but for the mean time I'm just going to continue building up my tank and introducing new plants and watching my danios enjoy swimming around in their large home, also I'm worried about other fish bringing unsettlement, which is stupid I know since I'd only be getting little peaceful community fish, I'm going to have a massive consultation with my local aquatics store before adding anymore fish haha.

Need better pictures that are clear and in focus.

-----------------
Don't use anti-biotics unless the fish has a known bacterial infection that hasn't responded to normal medications. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals and fish.

Fish with bacterial infections stop eating and usually die within a few days of showing symptom.

-----------------
If the fish gained weight over a period of time and is still eating normally, it is either eggs or a growth inside it. If it's a tumour or cyst there is nothing you can do except keep the fish comfortable and euthanise it when it stops eating or has trouble swimming.

Need better pictures that are clear and in focus.

-----------------
Don't use anti-biotics unless the fish has a known bacterial infection that hasn't responded to normal medications. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals and fish.

Fish with bacterial infections stop eating and usually die within a few days of showing symptom.

-----------------
If the fish gained weight over a period of time and is still eating normally, it is either eggs or a growth inside it. If it's a tumour or cyst there is nothing you can do except keep the fish comfortable and euthanise it when it stops eating or has trouble swimming.
This is incredibly helpful thank you! My first instinct was to assume it was the first sign of dropsy which needs immediate treatment, so I persisted with the anti bacterial to try and combat it, I'll do a large water change and stop using it, do I continue with the salt because it helps with bloat? Or ditch the salt and try peas? Or both? Thank you again

Fish with dropsy normally balloon (swell) up overnight. They stop feeding and do a stringy white poop. They usually die a few days after that. Sometimes the scales will stick out from the body but not always.

I wouldn't bother with salt.

You can try plant matter but it depends on how long the fish has been fat for. Since it has been going on for more than a month, I wouldn't bother.

I would just put the fish back in with its mates and let it live out the remainder of its life.

Most reactions

trending

Back