i don't know what plants to put in my tank

izzy456

Reaction score
i just bought a new tank for my guppies and don't know whether i should get some plants for the tank, if yes, which ones?

:hi: to the forums. :D

i don't know about the question you're asking, but i'm sure that it would get many more responses in the tropical chit chat area. hope to see ya soon!

You should only get them if you want to get them. It's your tank.

If you decide to get some, to pick which ones would be best, we need to know your tnak size and how many matts of lighting you have above it.

java fern is a good plant to start with. it's easy to maintain and needs little light and attention. the guppys will also like to pick stuff off of it, but shouldn't harm it.

most fish don't mess with java fern, as there is a bad-tasting toxin in the leaves. Don't worry, it won't heart you're fish. :p

you should try to work with easier species first. Try green cabomba, or elodea plants. Since you're keeping guppies, you might look into some plants that could provide them some shade as they spend a lot of the time at the top of the tank. Vallisneria grows long leaves that cover the surface. You could also try floating plants like water lettuce as long as you don't have a hood (thus having adequate ventallation at the top of your tank).

Most reactions

Back