I Can't Make Up My Mind

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I don't know about silvertips but certainly rule out the serpae tetra as they are known to be fin nippers and will, no doubt, have a go at the molly's and platy's

David

Welcome to my life. The sand has been decided yet again in favor! I'm doing it tomorrow before I have another chance to change my mind!! So here's what I'm thinking now:

3 Molly
2 platy
3 fry that I may keep in another tank
2 bolivians
6-8 tetras (I'm looking at glowlights, pristellas, rummynose, cardinals, silvertips)
2 pitbull plecs or 3 otos (I have 2 otos but I don't plan on having more than 3 otos so if they need more I'll just scratch them.)
10 corys (looking at sterbai, Julii, panda, and I think they're leopard? they sell them at petco)
2 cherry barbs
2 bamboo shrimp

Filter is a marineland penguin 350 so about 11x turnover per hour.

Serbai need warm water so check on compatibility everywhere.

I say go for the three lined/Trilineatus/ False julii/julii cories lol Pandas are supposed to be sensitive and I confirmed it with mine. Every water change or plant pruning, or light coming on and they go pale and hide. It's stressful for me and them.

I read a few sources saying silvertips were peaceful. How nippy are they?
I've found them to just be mini buenos aires tetras. In which my BA tetras forced tiger barbs into corners with their boisterousness. No go. Just don't.

Your what?
My parents really don't understand anything I do for my fish and whenever something happens they don't know what or why when I do and they just assume. My dad says plants make eater dirty and that sand is so dirty that nobody keeps it. Well no that's not right and you don't know how to run my tanks so just let me do what I want to because I've bought every last piece of equipment I have so I'm going to do what I want god!!!!

Ok rant over

opps. not keeping the panda cories. I think they need a calmer lower light tank. They arent happy in mine, fast water flow and high light

how does this sound??
3 Molly
2 platy
2 bolivians
6-8 tetras (I'm looking at glowlights, pristellas, rummynose, cardinals, goldens)
1 clown plec and 3 otos (I have 2 otos but I don't plan on having more than 3 otos so if they need more I'll just
scratch them.)
10 corys (looking at Julii, and false Julii/three-lined and Pygmy. Is my tank big enough for this sized group of each of these?
2 cherry barbs
2 bamboo shrimp

Filter is a marineland penguin 350 so about 11x turnover per hour.

Overstocked or......?

I kinda skimmed through the thread as the title related to me....until today

my lfs had a 25% off al fish sale today and so it was the time to buy. Well, I had three ideas for what to put with my archers, but have finally settled on the plan/what i bought today

I bought a school of 6 congo tetras (2male 4female) BEAUTIFUL pastel colors under the lights, but even when not under the lights the males fins are cool looking!
Also purchased 3 Kribs. They are the COOLEST lITTLE CICHLIDS EVER! Even though they are my first cichlid, and Ive only had them for 5 hours, im thrilled I purchased them as they allready have butt loads of personality!

Altogether, im recommending a pair of kribs for your tank as they are one of the dwarf cichlids whose male/female forms are both brightly colored!

I kinda skimmed through the thread as the title related to me....until today

my lfs had a 25% off al fish sale today and so it was the time to buy. Well, I had three ideas for what to put with my archers, but have finally settled on the plan/what i bought today

I bought a school of 6 congo tetras (2male 4female) BEAUTIFUL pastel colors under the lights, but even when not under the lights the males fins are cool looking!
Also purchased 3 Kribs. They are the COOLEST lITTLE CICHLIDS EVER! Even though they are my first cichlid, and Ive only had them for 5 hours, im thrilled I purchased them as they allready have butt loads of personality!

Altogether, im recommending a pair of kribs for your tank as they are one of the dwarf cichlids whose male/female forms are both brightly colored!
pair of kribs is too aggressive during breeding for his tank imo.

I'd scratch the otos since they're quite fragile and need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Don't know much about clown plecos, but keep in mind they do need driftwood in their diet, so make sure you use real driftwood in the tank. I'd honestly recommend a bristlenose pleco instead, much hardier and survives through anything.

The bamboo shrimp will require high water flow to feed, imo a powerhead is a must to keep them, and they also like to be kept in large groups as they would in the wild, considering they haven't been bred in captivity before, the wild is where they come from in most cases.

Once again, I can't say whether or not the tank is overstocked, but it does seem like way too many fish imo. Mostly in terms of cories. you definitely should stick to only one school of the list, and probably a school of around 8 at most.

Ok I've got a better idea, I'll just get corys for my other tank and not in here! All works out! I get corys and not too heavily stocked!

I just want the clown plec because they look cool. I do have real driftwood :good: so maybe an SAE for algae? Less bioload than 2 plecs :/

My filter is kind of like a filter and power head in one. It creates quite a bit of flow since it's 350 gph. What would I feed them? How many would you get 5?

I'll just stick with a tetra school then and go with 8-10. Since I wont have corys in this tank, I guess I'll continue to just contemplate sand.

3 Molly
2 platy
2 bolivians
8-10 tetras (glowlights, pristellas, rummynose, cardinals, or goldens)
1 clown plec and 1 SAE
2 cherry barbs
5? bamboo shrimp

I have lots of flow!

Oh and in case I wasn't clear when I said
"what would I feed them? How many would you get 5?"
I was talking about the bamboo shrimp just in case it wasn't clear.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back