I can't get a test kit because my parents said I don't need it!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I finally saw the test kit I wanted today and picked it up. My mom put it back, saying it was too expensive and that test strips do the same thing. The strips have 5 in a package and could potentially be inaccurate. I have a disability that prevents me from getting a job, otherwise I would have paid for it myself. I have no way of buying things on my own. I can't buy online either because I don't have my own money, and I don't have any cards. I can't get my parents to buy it online for me because they don't see the importance in having one.

Now that's just sad...
Last resort are the test strip and while they are inaccurate, they can still be used to get some sort of reading...
Hopefully maybe you can change their minds on the matter to give your fish better care.
Sorry that happened.

Test strips are pretty accurate. Test kits can be quite expensive so perhaps your parents can’t really afford it or at least justify spending that much on something they don’t understand. If you’re super worried your can bring in a sample of your tank water and most fish shops will test it for free.

Now a caveat to this is that it may or may not work...

If you sit down with your parents calmly and talk to them about test strips vs the liquid tests. Set aside the inaccuracies of the strip tests.

They are worried about the cost of a liquid kit, and yes they are quite an investment....there is no denying that. There are different liquid test kits out there...API is the "go to" test kit but you have JBL, NT Labs, AquaCare, Hannah, TMC, Waterlife, Elos, Colombo....to name but a few.

It is a mind boggling minefield of different liquid testing kits and they stretch over a very wide budget and very deep pockets as well depending on which you choose.

As has been said, strips can be a bit unreliable. They are also easily contaminated (one shaky hand and the results go pearshaped) and their shelf life can also be questionable too.

Generally speaking even the most unshaken hand and careful aquarium owner can potentially go through more than a few packs of strips in a year...especially when first starting out or if the aquarium suffers an unexpected spike of some sort.

It can be just as expensive buying several packs of paper strips as one liquid test kit in a 12 month period. Cos with the best will in the world you cannot know that your aquarium will behave itself for the next 365 days in a row without experiencing a spike or some other water chemistry whoopsie that needs daily testing and water changes for days on end.

API is, as I said, the "go to" test kit but you don't really need to test for everything that it provides tests for. Slightly less expensive would be the NT Labs which you buy specific single type tests...ammonia, nitrate, pH etc - that could well work out being a cheaper option.

What you should do is with mum & dad, sit down and find and compare all of the liquid test kits available either in the local store or online...cost compare them with strips...compare their longevity of use.

You don't have to buy the most expensive liquid test kit out ther just cos its the one everyone else uses (cos I can bet most of those people with the API don't actually use every single available test in the box cos they aren't all necessary). Find one that suits your actual aquarium needs and budget...and you might be surprised that although expensive to buy initially, when comparing to strips and how long the shelf life and ease of use a cherrypicked liquid test kit like the NT Labs version might be the perfect fit for you

Don't be scared to look at other manufacturers of test kits (or anything to do with fishkeeping) you do not have to always by the brand that everyone else swears by, especially when on a limited budget or when you have to deal with justifying purchases with the Bank of Mum & Dad

I think i would just go with quality test strip in your case (folks seem to like aquarium co-op strips but not sure if they are better than others or if it is Cory's marketing). I do use the liquid but don't love them since they are inaccurate for various reasons such as telling slight difference in colour (hum is it 5 or 10 or 12 or 20).... One of these days after I setup more sensitive tanks I'll look at apex probes or hanna stuff.... for now it just doesn't matter that much.

Last edited:
I use both and I don't find the test strip results all that different from the API liquid tests. The only place I have found much difference is in the KH and GH which are probably the least important part (of what is measured on the strips).

Once your tank is fully cycled, you might just test for nitrates occasionally. You only would need to test for ammonia and nitrites if your fish seem ill.

Last edited:
If the tank is cycled, don't bother getting a test kit if you can't afford it. Just take a glass full of tank water to a pet shop every now and then and see if they can test it for you.

As Fishmanic said above, you only need to check ammonia and nitrite when cycling a new filter or if the fish are sick. The rest of the time you check nitrates and possibly pH. These can be dealt with by doing big water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate every week.

If the tank is cycled, don't bother getting a test kit if you can't afford it. Just take a glass full of tank water to a pet shop every now and then and see if they can test it for you.

As Fishmanic said above, you only need to check ammonia and nitrite when cycling a new filter or if the fish are sick. The rest of the time you check nitrates and possibly pH. These can be dealt with by doing big water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate every week.
I have one cycled tank and another in the cycling process. Also, I get asked a lot on here about my water parameters, so I do need to know what they are to the full amount.

I hardly ever test my tank, and when I do, I only use test strips. Learn how your fish behave and when they are not happy then water change or maybe test your tank. If the fish are happy your tank doesn't need testing.

Most reactions

trending

Back