I Am Soooooo Infected....

I downloaded them from download.com free is a legitiment site = no viruses :)

No viruses true. There has hoever been reports of spyware being embedded in the adverts and again similar reports are said about facebook and myspace. Go on these sites for an hour or so, to get the full loop of adverts and you will get a lucky present. I go direct to developer usually.

i dont click on any adverts anyway, or are you saying you could potentially catch a virus just by surfing the main site?

Hi Ludwig

Just had a similar virus at work on one of the PC's, after 10 hours work chasing antivirus solutions I gave up and reloaded windows from scratch, then uploaded all the security updates and then looked at up to date antivirus.

The biggest tip once you are over the virus is to set yourself up two user accounts on your PC - one as an administrator and one as a straight user account. Use the admin one only when needed to install hardware/software etc. and use the user one for day to day surfing etc. These viruses rely on getting control via settings only available to admin accounts to wreak their havoc. (The safe surfer tip for this is to download software on the user account and scan it from both the user and then the admin accounts for viruses before installing)

Jon

P.S. now start a countdown until the words " I use a mac so dont get viruses" appear from someone :devil:

I downloaded them from download.com free is a legitiment site = no viruses :)

No viruses true. There has hoever been reports of spyware being embedded in the adverts and again similar reports are said about facebook and myspace. Go on these sites for an hour or so, to get the full loop of adverts and you will get a lucky present. I go direct to developer usually.

i dont click on any adverts anyway, or are you saying you could potentially catch a virus just by surfing the main site?

If Spyware or Adaware is embeded in the adverts, as it is in many cases, by the time the advert is showing on you screen, the malicious/anoying software is already on your computer, though in most cases in a dormant state IME. This is why almost all ad servers were blocked by my router at one point, then the family complained that they liked to look at the adverts and wanted them back :blink: Still, never mind...

Hi Ludwig

Just had a similar virus at work on one of the PC's, after 10 hours work chasing antivirus solutions I gave up and reloaded windows from scratch, then uploaded all the security updates and then looked at up to date antivirus.

The biggest tip once you are over the virus is to set yourself up two user accounts on your PC - one as an administrator and one as a straight user account. Use the admin one only when needed to install hardware/software etc. and use the user one for day to day surfing etc. These viruses rely on getting control via settings only available to admin accounts to wreak their havoc. (The safe surfer tip for this is to download software on the user account and scan it from both the user and then the admin accounts for viruses before installing)

Jon

P.S. now start a countdown until the words " I use a mac so dont get viruses" appear from someone :devil:

A good bit of advice for Windows users there

Not quite what you were expecting Jon, but :shifty:

I use Linux (mainly) and hence don't get viruses :p

All the best
Rabbut

Yellow!!... everybody.... it seems that I am back online.... Collected the IT guy at the local and brought him home to sit here with me & sort it out...... Dunno what he did, but it took him 6 hours, & (and probably a substantial account waiting), but at least, I can talk to you guys again. Still a lot of loose threads (as he put it), but he's coming back tomorrow to do the final touches...... nice to "hear" your voices again!!!!

Hello there Ludwig Venter! :hi: I was starting to get really worried about you. It's great to see you back again. :D

Hello there Ludwig Venter! :hi: I was starting to get really worried about you. It's great to see you back again. :D

Thanks there Inch..... I got a bit worried meself.... Still not sure that it will last, but I did say to him if it keeps for longer than 4 days, .... he'll get something for the back pocket.... (he's on probation)

Indeed all the people who write the viruses are doing the same thing :shifty: what distro do you use?

welcome back Ludwig, lovely to see you here again, been soooo quiet without you- i sincerly hope hes cleaned you up for at least the forseable future :)

Didnt even notice you were gone ludwig :p, only kidding m8 good to have you back :)

Indeed all the people who write the viruses are doing the same thing :shifty: what distro do you use?

Eish!!... Salty.... Dunno enough about the box to tell you.... I just switch on & hope to talk to you guys..... (I'm using an @lantic modum) if that is what you mean??.....

Soooooooo.. nice to be back (touch wood)... & thanks all for the welcome.... (much have happened.... will tell you 'bout it in the next days)

Uhm!?...... I'm moving around the posts with some speed and no other problems, but I cannot access "My Assistant" on this forum.....is the problem still with me, or is it general???

My Assistant works for me, but it could well be the board m8... still isnt back to normal yet :(

Good to know you are back off the ground Ludwig :good:

Contraty to what I have said in the past, I'm on Ubuntu 9.04. It's come a long way since I last used it and now is stable, fast and easy to use :good: When I first tryed it a few years back, it was one stability or speed issue after another, backed-up with a hard to use interface...

Anyhow
All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back