I am defeated ....URGENT!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I also bought Pimafix to treat the weird white formations on the fish. While the sick one seems to be getting better, the other one seems to be loosing its colour, is that normal. My suspicion is that they are constipated too, as they don’t eat at all now. So I am waiting to give the boiled peas. Please send feedback

Can aquarium salts suffice?

Since I'm here in this thread when this was posted, I'll answer. No, aquarium salt is pure sodium chloride, such as sea salt with no additives. Rift lake cichlid salts are the salts of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and a few others.

Since I'm here in this thread when this was posted, I'll answer. No, aquarium salt is pure sodium chloride, such as sea salt with no additives. Rift lake cichlid salts are the salts of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and a few others.
Oh okay thank you so much!

I also bought Pimafix to treat the weird white formations on the fish. While the sick one seems to be getting better, the other one seems to be loosing its colour, is that normal. My suspicion is that they are constipated too, as they don’t eat at all now. So I am waiting to give the boiled peas. Please send feedback

Adding stuff like Primafix is not likely to improve things. If this is being caused by the soft water, fixing that is the only way to proceed. The fish are not going to be improving no matter what you feed them or add to the tank until they have suitable hard water so their internal functions can operate.

There is another very important aspect to recognize and it pertains to all fish in all situations. Every substance added to the tank water gets inside the fish because fish continually take in water through all their cells via osmosis. Every substance added to the water is thus going to impact the fish, negatively in most cases, so additives must be well thought out and only used if absolutely essential and if that additive is the best option to deal with the problem.

Adding stuff like Primafix is not likely to improve things. If this is being caused by the soft water, fixing that is the only way to proceed. The fish are not going to be improving no matter what you feed them or add to the tank until they have suitable hard water so their internal functions can operate.
Okay ... so seachem cichlids salt it is.

But you cannot just add some to the tank and hope for the best. You need to know exactly how much to add, and to add the amount that gives exactly the same GH in the new water at every water change. The simplest way to do this is to buy a GH tester and add some to a bucket of water till you get the GH you want. Then make a note of how much you used to get that GH and use that amount per bucket of new water at every water change.

You also need to ID the fish you have as different Rift Lakes have different GH and you need to know what level of GH to aim for.

Hello,
If I were you I would return the fish & purchase the kits & other minerals you need if $$ is an issue or else they are going to die.
Did you cycle your tank? Good Luck

Most reactions

Back