I am considering a cichilid tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MamaPish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, I will be getting a 54 gal soon, and I look at the cichlids when I go to the LFS......and they look so cool, I love the way they arange the gravel with their mouths.....these were pretty big, and I am not sure what kind they were......anyone have suggestions what would be good for a 54 gal?...how many?

TIA

The next 55 gal tank i get will be a pure Malawi cichlid tank. They are always active and look great with sand and a bunch of large rocks forming caves.

Check this out from the toronto zoo.

toronto.jpg

Oh didn't know it was a corner tank. Might not be right for these cichlids. CM can tell u more but i believe the footprint of that tank could be a bit small.

I have seen that picture before on many fish related forums......it is usually used as an example to everyone that even professional set ups make mistakes!!!!!

There is no way that should be, even with the type of commercial filtration they have on the display.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!

CM

Hey mama...
I was at the lfs today and I noticed they had some gorgeous discus, I know your into the angels ,but I thought I'd let you know they'll be carrying the discus now on a regular basis, since you have that lovely new tank that you mentioned...you might be interested :wub:
I have a 42 that's yet to be set up & after seeing those fish today I think I know what I'll be stocking it with :D , but they were pretty pricey, like $59 for the large ones and 29 for the smaller, but as I said...beautiful ( nothing like dolphins though :rolleyes: those are just breath taking :D :D :D ) these were solids red, peach & black

But they need low PH compared to cichlids needing high ph so I guess that factors into your decision -_-

Have fun making up your mind!! SOOOOO many fish to choose from :wub:

Mama,

I would not consider discus for this tank!! If lucky, you may be able to house at the most 2 discus in this tank.

The dimensions are not adequate for keeping discus. Although the height is good, the base dimensions are not even 2.5 ft square.

I will give some thought to different species of cichlid that would work well in this tank and post them for you.

CM

hola mama.

in a 54 gallon, corner tank(right?) i would stick to some of these set-ups.

1 - african, Mbuna tank, around 5-7 fish.

2 - s./central american dwarf cichlids. 10-20 dwarfs, and only dwarfs! no alrge cichlids.

3 - ANGELS. the 54 corner would make a PERFECT home for these guys. keeping around 5-7 of them.

4 - Discus. same as for the angels, but only 2-3 of them, and these guys are harder to take care of, and require more maintenance.

5 - ONE large cichlid, not over 12 inches adult size. can be either african or s. american, your choice. i would get one of the following: Midas, Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror, Jack Dempsy, Frontosa, or Venustus. all of them are good hardy cichlids.

6 - A severum tank, keeping 2-3.

7 - a parrot tank, a pair of parrots. and if they are reproductive, you'll have a blast :)

Some good choices there, with the exception of a few....................

3 - ANGELS. the 54 corner would make a PERFECT home for these guys. keeping around 5-7 of them.

4 - Discus. ame as for the angels, but these guys are harder to take care of, and require more maintenance.
It is not advisable to house 5-7 discus in this dimension tank!! Angels possibly!!

no alrge cichlids

I agree with this!!!

5 - ONE large cichlid, not over 12 inches adult size. can be either african or s. american, your choice. i would get one of the following: Midas, Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror, Jack Dempsy, Frontosa, or Venustus. all of them are good hardy cichlids.
Midas - 14"
Frontosa - 14"

The remainder do stay 12" or under, but are you going to be happy with only one fish??

6 - A severum tank, keeping 2-3.

I don't understand the reasoning here!! Only 2-3 severum in this tank, but 5-7 discus???

While it is true that discus are not normally as aggressive as severum, they can still attain the same size....and since discus need way better water quality to thrive, it makes no sense to recommend 5-7 of them in this tank!!

7 - a parrot tank, a pair of parrots. and if they are reproductive, you'll have a blast

Parrots being hybrids (Blood parrots i assume) this is a choice you will have to make!!

The rest are good choices. I would highly recommend a dwarf cichlid tank....either SA or Tanganyikan!!

CM

WorldNation said:
4 - Discus. same as for the angels, but only 2-3 of them, and these guys are harder to take care of, and require more maintenance.

i made the correction to the previouse post, i left out the 2-3.

" Midas - 14" Frontosa - 14""

in reality, i have never seen any midas or frontosa get over 10-12 inches. and if u get female frontosas, they wont get over 6".

i would only get a one fish tank, if i had other tanks to compensate :)

cichlidmaster said:
7 - a parrot tank, a pair of parrots. and if they are reproductive, you'll have a blast

Parrots being hybrids (Blood parrots i assume) this is a choice you will have to make!!

The rest are good choices. I would highly recommend a dwarf cichlid tank....either SA or Tanganyikan!!

CM
i've heard of some parrots actually reproducing, and having reproductive off spring.

i havent seen this personally,. but i have heard of it. either way, i think a pair of the parrots(not dyed) would make for a nice tank. :)

WorldNation,

First let me say "WELCOME"!!

Next......I have personally had a midas at 14" at the time of his demise and currently have a male frontosa at around 13".

While I agree a female would stay smaller, this would require a decent size fish to either vent or sex out by appearance. I would venture a guess of at least 4".

While midas here at 4" are not overly expensive (unless barred or wild) they are in other parts of the country where they are not as common, plus it takes away the fun of growing it out!!

The blood Parrot issue is one of personal choice. I am not into hybrids of any type (being a former breeder), but do not chastise those who like and keep them!!

I agree about the one fish tank!! My 14" midas was in a tank by himself as well as my current frontosa. I admit that a large fish such as a midas, red devil ect. make a very nice display!!

WorldNation.....I look forward to many more posts with you here in this forum as well as the rest on this board. Nothing like a good discussion at 5:30 am!! :hyper: :hyper: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Sorry Mama....didn't mean to steal your thread. :D :D

CM

cichlidmaster said:
I have seen that picture before on many fish related forums......it is usually used as an example to everyone that even professional set ups make mistakes!!!!!

There is no way that should be, even with the type of commercial filtration they have on the display.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!

CM
i think it was dg i remeber putting in a post as one of our number was off on holliday there well my point is its been on this forum before im not shure where and when tho. :)

edit: just read all that ... i would have thaught you could get a pair of discus in that tank is it the foot print? i think half my brain is still on the standard uk fish stocking wavelength of ten years ago.
edit infact double edit: i didnt read it properly and im knackered whoops.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back