I always promote adopting dogs from shelters but...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Where I live, winters can be -30, and Husky types love it. When summer comes and it is really hot and humid for a couple of months, they are in misery. How do these northern dogs work out in southern climates?

A family member once told me they worked with a man who had a big alaskan malamute when they lived in alaska. They moved down to VA and it died of heat stroke in the middle of fall the first time they took it on a walk here:sad:

Where I live, winters can be -30, and Husky types love it. When summer comes and it is really hot and humid for a couple of months, they are in misery. How do these northern dogs work out in southern climates?
My Klee Kai actually HATES cold weather. The first time she experience snow she flipped around like a dead fish until someone picked her up. And since then if there’s snow in the ground she either demands being picked up or if we’re going on a walk she does her business right outside the door and marches directly back into the house. She avoids snow like the plague if there’s an alternate path.
A family member once told me they worked with a man who had a big alaskan malamute when they lived in alaska. They moved down to VA and it died of heat stroke in the middle of fall the first time they took it on a walk here:sad:
Yeah… heavy coat dogs definitely require an adjustment period for such drastic temperature changes but it’s so sad that happened. Out here in California I’ve heard of mostly pugs having heatstroke from just the dry heat and desert-ness.

In my experience, I used to have a Shiba Inu in florida, and he had a thin coarse coat for 10 years, but when we moved to California he slowly developed a thicker and softer coat to deal with the colder temps. Nature is amazing.

Max size is about 35 pounds... I would want one that is a bit larger than a Pomeranian but has the fluff and colors of a husky... They are so cute!

I dont know if we will get one, my parents really love them but were not sure if our dog luna who is a full size husky mix would view it as a little teddy bear for her 🤣... If anyone had that dog and could take a nice clear photo it would be a guaranteed top 3 spot on POTM lol
Oh yeah breeders.who know what they are doijg can determingnif they have more husky if they have more husky they will get bigger ans surely become friends

View attachment 155238
I have an Alaskan Klee Kai! She’s turning 7 years old and she’s 21 pounds! And she’s considered big for her breed. She’s a very good girl. She can be off leash around home and in comfortable areas and she doesn’t bark except when someone is at the door and then she will bark until you open the door, she’ll stare at the person and bark till they leave. A+ guard dog material, no one will be breaking in on you as long as you have a Klee Kai. She has a unique howl that sounds like she’s talking and she uses it to communicate with us all on the daily. She’s not great with other dogs, and Klee Kai’s are more prone to dog aggression but can be kept in check with regular socializing. Very smart and quick to learn tricks. She is very emotionally intelligent and knows how to express something’s wrong in ways we understand and she can understand our body language very well. She doesn’t like young children, which needs no explanation. And she sheds. A lot. With two even heavier coat blowouts twice a year because they have double coats. They handle dog backpacks well and are easy to transport! Snuggles but only when she wants to or she feels jealous

If you have any questions lmk and I’ll do my best~
She is gorgeous!!!

My dad had a wolf/Samoyed/husky mix years ago. It would run away for weeks then come back home. When my mom first saw it she thought it was a sheep 😂😂
Goodness! When I was little I wanted a husky SO BAD. My mom sat me down and told me “If you get a husky, it will run away. It will not be happy on our little half acre property, it will run away and you will never see it again. Maybe when you’re older you can get your own dog, but not a husky and not now”. So I waited nearly a decade and got an aussie instead🤣
355B2921-52CB-4462-AF66-86F27B4133A1.jpeg
632A3C44-28DB-4085-9CA9-480AB4B17001.jpeg
B5EF1F74-5B2B-4307-823C-9915B7132591.jpeg
4C8B8052-220B-4450-A48C-42CB06E8A83F.jpeg

Goodness! When I was little I wanted a husky SO BAD. My mom sat me down and told me “If you get a husky, it will run away. It will not be happy on our little half acre property, it will run away and you will never see it again. Maybe when you’re older you can get your own dog, but not a husky and not now”. So I waited nearly a decade and got an aussie instead🤣View attachment 155248View attachment 155249View attachment 155250View attachment 155251
that's a really cute dog! I always wanted a husky as well but ended up getting a rotty instead. We had to put her up for adoption because the place we were moving to wouldn't allow pets :-( She was a really good dog. The new owner sometimes sends us pictures and we got to visit her once. When it was time to leave she jumped into the car and wanted to go home with us

that's a really cute dog! I always wanted a husky as well but ended up getting a rotty instead. We had to put her up for adoption because the place we were moving to wouldn't allow pets :-( She was a really good dog. The new owner sometimes sends us pictures and we got to visit her once. When it was time to leave she jumped into the car and wanted to go home with us
Awwwww that is heartbreaking. I’m so sorry:-(

Awww, so cute... That must have broke your heart when it did that!

Im sorry that the place you had didnt allow pets... I really dislike those places
It was a rental house. For clarification, they did allow small dogs but not something big like a rottweiler. They tend to be misunderstood as being very aggressive.

It was a rental house. For clarification, they did allow small dogs but not something big like a rottweiler. They tend to be misunderstood as being very aggressive.
One day I was at a dog park with our dog and I rounded a corner of a gate to find this huge mastiff... My heart skipped a few beats lol... But then it came up and rolled over with a ball in its mouth... LOL

One day I was at a dog park with our dog and I rounded a corner of a gate to find this huge mastiff... My heart skipped a few beats lol... But then it came up and rolled over with a ball in its mouth... LOL
Once Maya(the rottweiler) jumped against our door and got outside. The bus had just stopped in front of the house and let out somebody. She ran up to him and he took off as fast as he could. She chased him through a bunch of backyards before he escaped :)

Most reactions

Back