Hydra in Betta tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keels

Reaction score
So a few days ago I noticed hydra on a new plant that I added. I tried trimming / manually removing any that I noticed, but at that point it was already too late as it spread to the substrate and rocks.

I had a test running in a background where I isolated a piece of plant in a separate container with a few hydra on it, and would add salt every hour to see how much is needed to kill them off. what I discovered is that the amount I need was way too high, and would kill my fish and plants before it would the hydra. I still tired adding aquarium salt (the recommended dose on the package), slowly adding it through the day not to shock the fish, but it didn't help.
Next I tired locally blasting them with the hydrogen peroxide using a syringe, and it helped with slowing the infestation down, but the next day I spotted a few more new ones.
I do have 2 or 3 pond snails and MTS that came with the plants (I don't dip plants. I did once and they ended up dying off) but I have yet to see any hydra eaten by the pond snails as some sources say they will.

I don't want to use the heat treatment, as I am worried it will kill/harm my plants and I can't remove the snails.

I can't get "No-Planaria" or "Fish Bendazole" where I live. I had to resort to ordering dog dewormer with fenbendazole base, as some sources recommend to use. Should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

does anyone have experience / recommendations on using it? and I would like to add a nerite snail in the near future, would it be ok if I add it after the treatment?

2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of water should kill Hydra.

Copper Sulfate will kill hydra.

A 9 volt battery (the rectangular battery) with a length of copper wire on each terminal. Put the ends of the wire in the tank for 30 minutes and the hydra die.

Take the fish out of the tank when using the copper or battery and do a big water change after treatment, and before you put the fish back in.

Hydra aren't a problem to adult fish and there is no rush to get rid of them unless you want to breed fish in that tank.

2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of water should kill Hydra.

Copper Sulfate will kill hydra.

A 9 volt battery (the rectangular battery) with a length of copper wire on each terminal. Put the ends of the wire in the tank for 30 minutes and the hydra die.

Take the fish out of the tank when using the copper or battery and do a big water change after treatment, and before you put the fish back in.

Hydra aren't a problem to adult fish and there is no rush to get rid of them unless you want to breed fish in that tank.

Do you know if that much salt will harm the plants? and is it safe for the betta?
As of rn I have only the Betta and a few snails in the 15 gallon, and the infestation in't so bad yet, so not in a hurry

2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of water is fine for all fish, snails, shrimp, plants and filter bacteria.

I had to resort to ordering dog dewormer with fenbendazole base, as some sources recommend to use. Should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
This will quite likely kill the snails if you use it. If they are pest snails, just remove them before they rot, but snails that you've bought would need to be removed from the tank and kept out for some time until was not a trace left in the water.

Yes, copper will kill snails. Remove any you do not whish to be killed.

You can use Potassium Permanganate to kill them, it’s quite effective actually and not even kill your snails.

Spotted a Hydra in my tank and been monitoring for population growth. I suspect it arrived on a Java Moss purchase and has demonstrated an ability to reproduce by growing a new one on its stalk. I have not noticed an increase in population so I am hesitant to go down a path of treating the water to try to eradicate. I only feed flakes, freeze dried worms, and Sinking wafers. I hope it eventually starves ?

I did happen to see it detach its foot and float to a new location (the latest location in the picture). While floating in the tank one of my Black Skirt Tetras tasted it and spit it out and also one my CPD's tasted it and spit it out. Its very small.
Hydra_2.jpg

I will monitor closely and if I begin to see more, I guess I will try to eradicate.

The one in the picture is dividing and has a baby one growing off its side.

Yes, I have witnessed two babies grow on the side and separate. But I have yet to find where they land and attach elsewhere in the tank. :/ I guess Hydra are supposed to carry the secret to long life given they do not age

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back