Hydor Koralia 3 Just Broke

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was just giving one of my powerheads a clean and when screwing the shield thing which covers the propeller in, the white plastic pipe which goes through the propeller snapped.

At first I thought it was a complete gonner but I managed to make it jam the white pipe in the right position when it's closed and it's working again but I don't know how long it'll last. :crazy: I'm going to go to the lfs tomorrow and see about getting a replacement so hopefully it'll hold together 'till then.

Has anyone else had this happen with theirs?

Nope, but I'll take extra care when doing mine in the future. At the moment its got a bit of chaeto caught in the grills which I'll need to remove. You must have just caught the propeller shaft at a funny angle and cracked it??

You must have just caught the propeller shaft at a funny angle and cracked it??

I think that's what must've happened. I was handling it very carefully and it broke REALLY easily so was quite surprised. It's still holding together when I left for work this morning.. fingers crossed it stays that way!

I was going to go to the lfs to try to sort it, but I think I might ring Hydor tomorrow and see what they say first. Hopefully I'll just be able to get a replacement shield thing with the pipe attached.

Yeah, most driveshafts on newer pumps are carbon fiber. Hold up great to vibrations and static loads, but snap easy with impulse and torque loads. If forced just-so they break easily.

I did the same on my Korolia 2 The only thing was the little bit that broke off in the hole on the front cover :(

I did the same as you but it only worked for a couple of months before it started to vibrate really bad and get noisy. I need to get a new shaft and front cover for mine just haven,t got round to it yet. ( I would also add that it was my own clumsyness that broke it and not a product fault :rolleyes: )

On the plas side my corals have seemed to prefer it with a little less flow so I think I had to much flow before B)

Well if its happening a lot, then its somewhat of a design flaw. Cleaning the unit is necessary sometimes and directing impeller shafts back into the correct hole without being able to see it can be difficult. I wonder if they will change the design in favour of a stainless steel or a material that is more shock resistant?

Yeah that's the trouble... Stainless steel really isn't so stainless in saltwater after enough time ;)

Well if its happening a lot, then its somewhat of a design flaw. Cleaning the unit is necessary sometimes and directing impeller shafts back into the correct hole without being able to see it can be difficult. I wonder if they will change the design in favour of a stainless steel or a material that is more shock resistant?

Its wasn,t a design flaw when mine broke just pure clumsyness :blush:

When I took the front off it still had the ceramic shaft in the hole and I caught the shaft with my hand on the length of the shaft snapping the brittle shaft in two, leaving a small piece of shft in the hole if that makes sense.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back