Hujeta Gar with tetras and barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MrDankYT

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After my butterfly danios (opsarius pulchellus) died after having them for a couple years I want a new centerpiece fish, so in my local pet shop I see this beautiful long fish, called a hujeta gar and I want it, but my tank has rummy nose tetras, and five banded barbs, which are the smallest. Will they get a long? I have loads of plants and hiding spots in the tank. Also it's a 375litres paludarium tank.

After my butterfly danios (opsarius pulchellus) died after having them for a couple years I want a new centerpiece fish, so in my local pet shop I see this beautiful long fish, called a hujeta gar and I want it, but my tank has rummy nose tetras, and five banded barbs, which are the smallest. Will they get a long? I have loads of plants and hiding spots in the tank. Also it's a 375litres paludarium tank.
I could not find any info on this fish at “Seriouslyfish.com”, so I did a little research and I found this.... http://www.piranha-info.com/default.php?lang=en&id=c_hujeta

Seems like a really good website. If I had the room I would get one of these! ;)

If you are referring to this species Ctenolucius hujeta, here is some data that will answer your question. I would say your tank is not large enough, or deep enough, and then there are the other fish.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Ctenolucius-hujeta

The store said minimum of 200litres but i don't think it would fit well with the other smaller fish, looking for a new centerpiece then, also Byron i bought 2 mudskippers today, surprisingly they just took a box for putting reptiles in and put some wood chips at the bottom, then soaking them in water and putting the mudskippers in, they were fine though and they are exploring their new home right now, they seem to be happy!

The store said minimum of 200litres but i don't think it would fit well with the other smaller fish, looking for a new centerpiece then, also Byron i bought 2 mudskippers today, surprisingly they just took a box for putting reptiles in and put some wood chips at the bottom, then soaking them in water and putting the mudskippers in, they were fine though and they are exploring their new home right now, they seem to be happy!
I would love to see pictures! ;)

The store said minimum of 200litres but i don't think it would fit well with the other smaller fish,

Assuming the fish is the species I linked previously, 200 liters is no where near adequate. I would not rely on anything this store advises, check everything beforehand.

That's very good. My only suggestion would be to see if you can find some branches, dark brown, real or fake, to place over the land area or slightly over the water. The mudskippers would appreciate that, they are curious fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back