hoya hoya hoya

I mentioned above, about pulling, and dirting
the black margin hoya… but while it wasn’t looking very good, I just couldn’t make myself pull it… it didn’t look any worse the several weeks, and today I noticed a new sprout, and the start to a tiny leaf…
IMG_9423.jpeg



IMG_9425.webp
 
Last edited:
not quite a week later… it’s starting to come along… interesting the black margin leaves start out black…
IMG_9463.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2
that variegated hoya runner, also coming along nicely…
IMG_9464.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2
You convinced me to try adding some Hoyas to my tanks! I’ll try some Hoya retusa and carnosa.
 
carnosa, is our oldest plant… was my wife’s grandmothers, it been in our house for 100 years… I have many new cuttings, both in dirt, and in several tanks, and it grows really well out of aquariums…
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2
Personally I recommend the polarizer it is really good on a sunny day or for reflections off the aquarium.
 
the hoyas are springing into the growing season…

this is that tiny black margin leaf from the picture above…
IMG_9503.webp

and the small leaves from the new shoot of that variegated hoya, today…

IMG_9502.webp

and while they start slow, once they get going , they can take over a room, almost as fast as a pothos

IMG_9501.webp

tons of new starts on this common hoya, that is just inserted into the top of the tank…
 
I live in the woods. But out house is poorly oriented for having adequate lighting for plants. We have all of two potted plants int the two buildings. But, in my tanks which have good artificial lighting I have jungles. Before I started keeping fish I had a nice garden out by the pool. But to do this required all sorts of fencing or the plants just got eaten. After I started putting live plants into tanks, I eventually gave up my outdoor garden almost entirely.
 
variegated hoya starts beginning to go to town…
IMG_9528.webp
 
I’m glad this black margin hoya has started growing, as they are more rare… here you can see the little leaf on the previous picture of this one, is now full size, and 2 new leaves started along with new vining tips…
IMG_9535.webp
 
this is that variegated cutting today…
IMG_9565.webp
 
it took quite a while for these 2 aqua-potted hoyas to really take off… they grow much faster when they are just stuck in the water, but always trying something different, trying to contain the roots for a different look, these pots are drilled with many 1/4 inch holes, then filled with ceramic filter media, and nested into the tanks, with the tops about an inch above the water… the variegated plant has been traditionally easy to grow, but the black margin hoya is much more of a challenge… this is 4 pictures, 2 pictures each, taken 2 days apart, they are both growing much more aggressively right now… not sure if it’s just time in the tank, added hours of indirect sunlight, or the base tempurature of the room, during the warmer months, but I can see new growth every day, right now…
IMG_9596.webp
IMG_9598.webp

IMG_9599.webp

IMG_9599.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9595.webp
    IMG_9595.webp
    157.6 KB · Views: 30
the black margin hoya 1st for a root to escape the pot… this growing out of one of the holes…
IMG_9600.webp
 
btw… large sponge filters are positioned under the pots, so that bubbles percolate through the media, and cause some circulation in the pots… hard to picture, but I tried
IMG_9601.webp
 
a couple newer pictures of the black margin hoya, and the variegated growing out of the swordfish tank…
IMG_9929.webp

IMG_9930.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top