How will I maintain and take care of my future 32 gallon fish tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GOLDIEEE

Reaction score
Hi, I plan on setting up a [36"(L)×13(D)×16"(D)]
32 gallon (US) community fish tank in the future.
I have some questions that I really need help with. It will do a lot for me If you guys can help me :) Thank you in advance...

Inhabitants:
(5) Guppy
(5) Balloon Molly
(5) Platy
(10) Neon Tetra
(3) Honey Gourami
(5) Kuhli Loach
(2) Red Cherry Shirmp
(2) Crystal Red Shrimp
(4) Otocynclus Catfish

Plants:
Dwarf Hairgrass
Marsilea Minuta
Anubias Nana
Ludwigia Repens Rubin
Water pennywort
Jungle Val
Ludwigia

Questions:
-Will it be overstocked? If so, how many of what species should I not get?
- the inhabitants and plants harmonize?
-If somehow some fish do not go well with each other please let me know...
-Do I need a CO2 injection?
-How many watts of lighting should I get?
-Do I need a heater? (I live in the Philippines)
-What is the most suitable filter for this tank? Please rank at least 5 types of filter from greatest to least.
-How many water changes should I do per week?

(I will use this picture as a aquascaping reference)

images.jpeg

Hi, in a way it would be, what is your GH? You can find this on your water providers website or you call call them. We need thing info to help with stocking

Okay great :) this means you have soft water... so your guppies, mollies and platies will not work. @Byron can explain more in detail why.

So based on that info I would do
12 neon tetras
6 kuhli
8 Otos
You could do the gourami and the shrimp but the gourami may eat the shrimp when they are fully grown.

Add the shrimp and otos after your tank has been established for awhile as they both need a well established aquarium with biofilm to feed on.
Otos need driftwood

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

After the tank is cycled do 50% water change weekly

You probably wont need a heater.
No co2 is needed
I cant say for the lighting

Okay great :) this means you have soft water... so your guppies, mollies and platies will not work. @Byron can explain more in detail why.

So based on that info I would do
12 neon tetras
6 kuhli
8 Otos
You could do the gourami and the shrimp but the gourami may eat the shrimp when they are fully grown.

Add the shrimp and otos after your tank has been established for awhile as they both need a well established aquarium with biofilm to feed on.
Otos need driftwood

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Yes I do know about the nitrogen cycle☺️
Ummm... I really really wanna get Guppies, mollies, and platys. Is there anyway I can adjust the hardness of the tank water?

Yes I do know about the nitrogen cycle☺️
Ummm... I really really wanna get Guppies, mollies, and platys. Is there anyway I can adjust the hardness of the tank water?
If you chose to only have livebearers and rainbowfish you could add the substrate made for rift lake cichlids to harden the water. This would eliminate the possibility of the other mentioned fish :)

If you chose to only have livebearers and rainbowfish you could add the substrate made for rift lake cichlids to harden the water. This would eliminate the possibility of the other mentioned fish :)

So sad to know I really couldn't keep them together. What other beautiful alternatives for livebearers can you suggest? You know, those fish that are roughly the same size as livebearers but goes well with soft water and the previously mentioned fishes.

You're really really helpful☺️

Thanks I try to be helpful. Let me think on some other options and I'll let you know :)

Thanks I try to be helpful. Let me think on some other options and I'll let you know :)

I'll try to do a lot more research for inhabitants :)

But... What's like the best filter for this tank?

-Sponge
-Hang on the back
-Cannister

These are the available filters in my area. Can you rank them?

I really like blushing tetras, they arent the same body shape but roughly the same size as a platy

I'll try to do a lot more research for inhabitants :)

But... What's like the best filter for this tank?

-Sponge
-Hang on the back
-Cannister

These are the available filters in my area. Can you rank them?
Sponge is good for if you end up with fry because no babies can get sicked up but I'm pretty sure they all work well depending on brand :) I'm sure another member will come along shortly and correct me if I am wrong

Sponge is good for if you end up with fry because no babies can get sicked up but I'm pretty sure they all work well depending on brand :) I'm sure another member will come along shortly and correct me if I am wrong

Thank you so much for your help I learned a lot hehe

That's what I'm on here for :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back