How to walk away from a new tank for a few weeks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mcordelia

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As most of you know by now, I've slowly been working on getting the 20gal set up. Finally finished washing all the sand today, so that is probably going in on Monday while my kid is in daycare so it's not too enticing for him :D

The plants I am hoping will arrive by Wednesday, and then I should be set to rock and roll.

However, we may be traveling for the holidays, and it's possible that the tank is unattended for up to 2.5 weeks. How do I keep the plants alive during that time? I am putting root tabs in, but they are sending me at least a couple of floating plants too, so what do I do about those?

Should I introduce something like ghost shrimp into the tank? I feel like it's too soon to introduce any animals into the tank since I'm basically potentially in a situation where I'm about to set it up and walk away, but I also don't know how to keep the plants alive without any source of fertilizer for them?

How long of a photoperiod should I set the light on? It's whatever came with the tank kit, it says "9.6w" on it and that's all i know. Doesn't look particularly bright to my eye.

I assume I run the filter while I'm not there even though it's just plants, right?

I'm putting this in the cycling section since I'm effectively trying to set the tank up for a a silent cycle, but no idea how it's going to play out if I'm not around. I guess worst case scenario all the plants die and start to rot and the tank starts to make BB while I'm gone? Lol, I hope that's not how it plays out!!!

Just have the light on a timer and set it to come on for 12 hours a day.

You can add an iron based (with trace elements) liquid aquarium plant fertiliser before you go and leave it at that.

Don't use carbon fertiliser because they are not necessary.

There's no need to do anything special, just set it up, get the light on, and go on a holiday.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back