How To Tell The Difference Of A Cae And Otocinclus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NorthEastFisherman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How do you tell the difference of a chinese algae eater and an otocinclus. I think the chinese algae eaters at my lfs are otocinclus because they look like the otos i have now. But if my lfs is right then i might have a chinese algae eater and that wont be good! So anyone know how to tell the difference? 

+1, they are quite different fish.
The first photo is an otto and the second a CAE.
Otocinclus_affinis.JPG

Chinese_algae_eater.jpg

Uhoh after seeing that pic i think its a CAE. Im gonna take a pic now ill post in a few.

NorthEastFisherman said:

Uhoh after seeing that pic i think its a CAE. Im gonna take a pic now ill post in a few.
Yep your right it's an SAE.
Are you serious? ARGH! Im not too happy now.

Sorry mate, i was half asleep this morning when i wrote that lol... CAE is what i meant to write
innocent.gif

JenCliBee said:

Yep your right it's an SAE.
Are you serious? ARGH! Im not too happy now.

Sorry mate, i was half asleep this morning when i wrote that lol... CAE is what i meant to write
innocent.gif

THATS EVEN WORSE!!! Don't they get 10inches? Uhoh i see trouble in the near future.

Up to 11", no idea how long that takes or how often they get that large but ya... Did the shop sell it to you as an Oto?

phantomlink said:
Up to 11", no idea how long that takes or how often they get that large but ya... Did the shop sell it to you as an Oto?
Yeah and the thing that made me kinda angry is i specialty ordered them as OTOCINCLUS. No Chinese algae eater. I did have three one died from unknown causes, the other was scrawny and mangy looking and it died because i think it didnt eat at all. And this is the last one i have. I paid i think 3$ each or something like that so not bad but now im stuck with this fish i dont have space for.

I am not so sure it's not an SAE instead of CAE. You may have said it because it was early but I think you are right. Compare.
9DaFu62.jpg

SAE_ID.jpg

Chinese_algae_eater.jpg

Either way i got a fish that grows over 5'' when i have a shark, two gold barbs, 3 cories, and a swordtail already in the tank. And its a 15g, not looking too good.

Just to be 100% sure can you post a couple more photos of it, especially the caudal fins and head?

tcamos said:
Just to be 100% sure can you post a couple more photos of it, especially the caudal fins and head?
Yeah i will when i have the time i gotta do some things tonight so maybe late tonight or late tomorrow.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back