How to tell if it's safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 225 Gallon experienced some severe Ick a little over a week ago.

Treatment:
- A Week of ~88F temperatures
- 3 days of using Weco Nox-Ich Water Treatment (It treat Ick, and also kills Velvet, Fin Rot, Chilondonella, Trichondina)

Results:

- 100 Cardinal Tetras Dead
- 96 out of 100 RummyNose Tetras Dead
- 2 German Blue Rams and 1 smaller Yoyo Loach Dead
- 3 Denison Barbs and 3 smaller Sterbai Corydoras Dead

Rest of the loaches, Plecos and corydoras all look to be acting normal and look fine.

I have removed the 4 surviving RummyNose for now, but just wondering what should I do next?

Continue to monitor for another week before introducing fish? Should I do another 3 days of Weco Nox-Ich to be safe?

Probably going to take a month before I actually consider new stock, the last 2 weeks were brutal and such a headache. But figured I'd ask in case I wanted to stock as early as next weekend.

Thanks

What are the instructions on the medication? How often, how long does it say to treat the tank? If the treatment is finished, I would wait the month before getting more fish, but if the treatment says to use for longer than 3 days, finish the course then wait a month.

What are the instructions on the medication? How often, how long does it say to treat the tank? If the treatment is finished, I would wait the month before getting more fish, but if the treatment says to use for longer than 3 days, finish the course then wait a month.

Treatment said 3 days and based on the online reviews that's all that was required for mostly everybody. In those 3 days that's when the majority of the Tetras died. Thought it was over, But woke up this morning to 3 clown Loaches breathing heavy and then eventually turning over.
What remains are just corydoras, plecos and Loaches.

At this point just going to wait another 2 weeks, if no more fish die, sell them and call it quits. Too hard of a hit at this point .

I would suggest the fish died from the Weco Nox-Ich Water Treatment, not ich. I am not familiar with this product and trying to find data online has not been easy but I gather it contains sodium chloride and malachite green. Malachite green is deadly to characins (the tetras) and Corydoras, and likely loaches. The fact that the deaths were so rapid and occurred when the medication was used would support my thinking.

Sodium chloride is common salt, and that is safe for the named species provided it is not overdosed.

I am very sorry it is too late now to save your fish, but for the record, the only way to treat ich (given the fish species named here) is heat, and possibly salt. Never but never use any so-called ich remedy.

If there are fish alive, do a massive water change and keep the heat at or above 86F for another week minimum.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back