FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nicolexoxo

Reaction score
I currently have female and male guppies in my fish tank, they've all been together in the same tank for about 4 days. When exactly do they start breeding? Do most start at a week after first being put together or days after?
If days after, how can you tell if your female(s) are pregnant? I read that it's the black dot (I cant remember what it's called) like on their belly near their anal fins, but I don't know how dark is goes? Is it something you can't really miss? Or is it something that you really have to look for?
HELP!

They've been in the same tank with males for roughly 4 days. Too early for them to start breeding yet? I really have no idea what I'm looking for. -sorry for the bad quality photos-
These are just 2 females, the others basically look thr same but one.

Attachments

• tumblr_n6h9seWdR91r7r0zqo1_400.jpeg
    tumblr_n6h9seWdR91r7r0zqo1_400.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 608
  • tumblr_n6h9vvgwtE1r7r0zqo1_400.jpeg
    tumblr_n6h9vvgwtE1r7r0zqo1_400.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 592
Guppies always breed.  If you have both sexes together, expect constant fry being born (even if they may get eaten).  It usually takes new guppies in a tank a day or two to start breeding.  Female guppies' gravid spots get very drk when they are [regnant.  Closer to their delivery date it gets bigger and bigger, and with the lighter females you may see little eyes. :) Females always "square off" before they have fry.  Their belly gets this square look and is fairly straight horizontally on the bottom.  

Hope this helps! 

Gravid spots aren't always a good way to tell. I used to have two or three females that would never show this "gravid spot" but they still had fry.  Your females don't look pregnant now, but they probably are if they have been with males for a few days now. All you have to do is wait.  In a few weeks take a new picture and compare it to the photos you posted here.  Your females will be fatter and are probably pregnant. :) 

And were the females with males before you got them, they don't wait for their eventual home before they get pregnant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back