How To Take Care "black Ghost Knifefish"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, I'm afraid you do need to change the water again.

I think all fishkeepers spend at least one night up late doing water changes!

fluttermoth said:

Glad I've ticked that on the "To Do as a Fishkeeper" list!
I think we need a TFF "10 things to do as a fish keeper" list.

PFK did one! http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5526

But a more personal one would be funny..

*ponders*

I think my ammonia decrease to 0.25ppm after change the water again (today for the 3rd times).. but still dangerous, could be tomorrow there will be rise again.. My Nitrite already 0ppm.. Thanks guys for your helps.. Now I need to monitor my tank. 

About the filter, Do i need to bring it out & wash it? or just leave it in the filtering during my cycling?

Thanks

BamBeckham said:
I think my ammonia decrease to 0.25ppm after change the water again (today for the 3rd times).. but still dangerous, could be tomorrow there will be rise again.. My Nitrite already 0ppm.. Thanks guys for your helps.. Now I need to monitor my tank. 

About the filter, Do i need to bring it out & wash it? or just leave it in the filtering during my cycling?

Thanks

Leave it for the time being, until the tank is fully cycled :) You might accidentally damage the good bacteria trying to develop.
Test it as soon as you wake up tomorrow! :p
The road will be long but you'll get there - Thank you for listening to our advice by the way, a lot come here and don't.

So that's the 25L being sorted, the one with the Senegal in correct?
What's happening with the other tank?
What's alive now and what's the plan there?

Yes Sophie, My 25L tank filled by Senegal Bichir. Actually it is not enough for her. I need at least 100L tank for her.. So I'm planning to get maybe 150L-200L tank soon.. 
wink.png

I have a small tank 5L which is I put the small cat fish.. Not sure what specific name it is. Here some pictures;
Kuala Lumpur-20130609-02553a.JPG

Right now? I want go to sleep.. near 4am in the morning here.. hahaha.. tomorrow have a lot to do.. Thanks again guys..

sleeping.gif

BamBeckham said:

Yes Sophie, My 25L tank filled by Senegal Bichir. Actually it is not enough for her. I need at least 100L tank for her.. So I'm planning to get maybe 150L-200L tank soon.. 
wink.png

I have a small tank 5L which is I put the small cat fish.. Not sure what specific name it is. Here some pictures;
attachicon.gif
Kuala Lumpur-20130609-02553a.JPG

Right now? I want go to sleep.. near 4am in the morning here.. hahaha.. tomorrow have a lot to do.. Thanks again guys..

sleeping.gif

A 200L is a fantastic idea, the bigger the tank the better and to be honest, the easier it is to run.

I'm not sure what they are either, will need someone to verify but you will need to get a larger tank for them also with a filter to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite away!

What are you doing about heating? Do you know the temperature of the water at all?
What happened to the Clown Loaches and Ghost Knife Fish? Did they pass? :(

Get some sleep and make a fresh start tomorrow. You'll need that brain power for the information over load! :D

The seller told me that fish name was Indonesia Catfish ("Keli Indonesia" in Malay).

Sophie, I have the thermometer to check the temper in the tank. It is always around 28-30 degree. In Malaysia, the weather is always in the rain and warm throughout the year. The lower degree can reach 23'C & the highest can reach to the 35'C.

FYI, my clown loaches & BGK were not survive.
sad.png
  I bought it at first time 2 weeks ago & only survive less than 24 hours. The second time I just buy BGK and the same situation happen to her.
sad.png

About my tank this morning, the ammonia rise a bit around 1.0ppm. Then I go & change the water about 50% freshwater to make it ammonia down to 0.25ppm. But the Nitrite still 0.

Tonite I will be going out of town till Sunday night. I will check again this evening before leaving the house. There's such a reminder that I need to do before leaving her for 2 days?
unsure.png
 (I live alone)

Thanks

Another question before it too late, I intend to plant something in the aquarium. Do I need to do now or can be done later after finish the cycling process?

I have ask the Shop seller, there are some organic mixture was placed in the bottom of the tank required. If I already finished the cycling, how should I put that organics to the bottom of the tank with fully of water? Do I need to remove all the water in the tank?

View of my tank:
Kuala Lumpur-20130619-02614b.jpg

Sorry to use this thread for many questions that not related to the topic.
wink.png
  Just tell me if it is require to create another new thread.

Thanks

Live plants can really help a cycle, the plants (especially stem plants) can use the ammonia directly from the water column and keep the water safer for your fish.  The key is finding plants that like your water.  What are the pH, kH, gH, and temp?

eaglesaquarium said:
Live plants can really help a cycle, the plants (especially stem plants) can use the ammonia directly from the water column and keep the water safer for your fish.  The key is finding plants that like your water.  What are the pH, kH, gH, and temp?
Currently my pH 7.0 & temp 29'C-30'C... I don't have yet tools for measure the kH & gH.

Sophie1992 said:

*ponders*

Have you posted it yet? If not, what are you waiting for??

the_lock_man said:

*ponders*

Have you posted it yet? If not, what are you waiting for??

I'll make a start today, promise :p

BamBeckham said:

Currently my pH 7.0 & temp 29'C-30'C... I don't have yet tools for measure the kH & gH.

Good enough.  The temp is good for bacteria growth, but is a bit warm for the fish.  You might want to try to turn the heater back to 27C or so for the fish. The pH is fine.

Would you characterize your water as hard or soft?

eaglesaquarium said:

Good enough.  The temp is good for bacteria growth, but is a bit warm for the fish.  You might want to try to turn the heater back to 27C or so for the fish. The pH is fine.

Would you characterize your water as hard or soft?

I don't think he's using a heater or so I gathered. Using the air temperature which in Malaysia he says goes from 23-33 varying (not scrolled back as on phone, going from memory).

Malaysia is just below the Philippines. Prople dont reall care about the fish in the night markets. They tell you false things. Thats why I cane here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back