How To Take Care "black Ghost Knifefish"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To all the "westerners" posting replies, can we all please remember that BamBeckham is from Malaysia, where the culture towards keeping animals is different. The very fact that BB is now a member of this forum shows that he is trying his best to do things in what we would consider the best way, and his responses back this up.

None of the responses thus far have crossed the line, but some have been a bit strong in their tone. Please make sure we remain polite. Thank you.

Is it 150L or 200L? :p You can put the dimensions of it in the calculator at the top of the page.
And is it brackish or fresh? The bichir and BGK should not be in it if it's brackish.
I have heard bichirs recommended as tankmates for a BGK quite often.

Even a 200l tank is too small for a Black GHost Knife, Bam.

Is there a filter on the tank you have them in now? The "Bhotia" is a Clown Loach, which again do get pretty big.

Just want to clarify I wasn't saying it would be okay in that size tank, but didn't know if he had picked another one up and just wanted to make sure he knew not to be putting it in brackish
blush.png

Ninjouzata said:
Just want to clarify I wasn't saying it would be okay in that size tank, but didn't know if he had picked another one up and just wanted to make sure he knew not to be putting it in brackish
blush.png

No worries, I was aiming my comment at Bam anyway. He had a thread a day or so ago, to identify his "Dragon Fish" - he thought it was a Violet Goby, and so put it in brackish - but it's an albino Senegal Bichir, so he's changed the water out for fresh.

Sorry for my harsh reply Bam! Good job on looking out for your fish. I'm sure you're going to end up with a fantastic setup.

BamBeckham said:

Anyone here can tell me how to take care this type of fish (Black Ghost KnifeFish). 2 weeks ago I bought it a pair of black ghost & put it into 5L tank together with small Bhotia Fish. Seems to be okay at first. But after around 12 hours, their life are gone. Do not know why. My tank fully of fresh water (after feel it with anti chlorine). I don't have any tools yet to measure the temperature & pH of the water.

Then a week later, I was tried again bought a pair of Black Ghost. Now I just put this fish only in my 5L tank. Then, again, they were die less than 24 hours. Still wonder what is the cause this was happenned.

I like that fish, but looks like very difficult to care.

Hope any advices here.

Thanks
Bam

Have a little look here my dear - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/
Full of lots of information that will help you and your fish :)
Perhaps start with the Setting Up The Aquarium and go from there?

In the picture you posted, the orange and black fish are Clown Loaches and can reach 30-40cm in the right conditions (even though it can take a while!)

Perhaps it might be worth looking into some smaller fish species to get you started into the hobby? But before that lets make sure they are going to go into an aquarium where they can thrive and be happy :)

If you need anymore help, please do post and we can try and help as much as possible - that is why we are here after all! :D

Sorry guys take so long to reply y'all. I'm a bit busy to setup this tank carefully. I'm started love this hobby. ;-)

About some harsh respond; it is okay guys, I'm not offended bout your comment. Don't worry. & Thanks to moderator for some clarifications also you all guys to give a lot of important answers.

For some of your question; If you means my BGK 5L tank, then I don't have any filtering that time while bought that fish. Now I have 1 new tank 25L which is still not enough size for my Senegal Bichir with a complete filtering. Yeah, could be possible also why my BGK not survive. The tank size, no filtering & because a pair reason.

Right now I have another issues. :( 

Today I got some knowledge from internet about Cycling the tank with or without fish to make sure all will be running ok. As I already bought a fish before setup/cycling the tank, so I need to cycling the tank with fish inside. So this evening(Malaysia time), after back from office, I went to the Aquarium shop to get all the tools for cycling check. I'm bought test kits for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. 

I did the test for all the kits & found my tank contained of 8.0ppm Ammonia,5.0ppm Nitrite & pH 6.8. Then quickly I took out the water around 35% from the tank & fill in the freshwater. Then I did a test for second time. These a result pH 7.2,Ammonia 4.0ppm, Nitrite 0.15ppm. 

I think the Ammonia still higher. & what should I do? (Sorry if I use this questions in the same thread, just tell me if I need to open a new thread for this questions)

I went out to the aqua shop & bought "Algone Water clarifier & Nitrate remover". The seller said it can remove the ammonia & Nitrate from the tank. Just put it into Tank filter. Can anyone clarify these? 
untitled2.JPG

Then, when I'm cameback home, I did a test again for 3rd times (after 4 hours)to make sure everythings ok. Here the result. Nitrate 5.0ppm, Nitrite 0.15ppm, Ammonia 3.0ppm, pH 7.0.
untitled.JPG

I think this result also still dangerous for fish. I'm worried about my Senegal Bichir there. 

Thanks
Bam
Sophie1992 said:

Anyone here can tell me how to take care this type of fish (Black Ghost KnifeFish). 2 weeks ago I bought it a pair of black ghost & put it into 5L tank together with small Bhotia Fish. Seems to be okay at first. But after around 12 hours, their life are gone. Do not know why. My tank fully of fresh water (after feel it with anti chlorine). I don't have any tools yet to measure the temperature & pH of the water.

Then a week later, I was tried again bought a pair of Black Ghost. Now I just put this fish only in my 5L tank. Then, again, they were die less than 24 hours. Still wonder what is the cause this was happenned.

I like that fish, but looks like very difficult to care.

Hope any advices here.

Thanks
Bam

Have a little look here my dear - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/
Full of lots of information that will help you and your fish
smile.png

Perhaps start with the Setting Up The Aquarium and go from there?

In the picture you posted, the orange and black fish are Clown Loaches and can reach 30-40cm in the right conditions (even though it can take a while!)

Perhaps it might be worth looking into some smaller fish species to get you started into the hobby? But before that lets make sure they are going to go into an aquarium where they can thrive and be happy
smile.png

If you need anymore help, please do post and we can try and help as much as possible - that is why we are here after all!
biggrin.png

Thanks Sophie1992. I will go through the link. Right now I think, I need to settle my tank first with my Senegal Bichir which is I need to do something bout it. Could be I need to find some money to buy a new big tank ASAP. 
smile.png

Not sure how to go about appealing to our more regular/experienced users to come help out on this one? ????

Fantastic step in the right direction there with the testing kit Bam - I would like to help but I don't feel 'qualified' enough when dealing with those measurements.
You need the Ammonia to be 0, the Nitrite to be 0 and the Nitrate around 20-40 at most but Nitrate is the least toxic of the three.

I'd like to suggest a 70/80% water change as soon as possible but I'd like some input from others first!

Good luck! xx

Yes, Sophie is right; you need to do some big water changes to get both the ammonia and the nitrite down to zero.

Drain the tank right down, leaving just enough water for the fish to swim upright (don't forget to switch your heater and filter off first!).

Make sure your new water is the same temperature as the water in the tank, and use some dechlorinator/tap safe.

If the ammonia and nitrite are not zero after one big water change, then you'll have to do another one; any ammonia or nitrite in the water can make your fish very sick.

Good luck!

From what I read from internet, to make sure your fish in good health, the result as per what you said Sophie. From what I understands while doing the cycling, Ammonia will be going up much & after around a week, some bacteria produced & cause your tank has less ammonia & increase the Nitrite. Then aster a few weeks, some other bacteria produced & remove all the nitrite but increase the tank Nitrate which is not quite dangerous for the fish for some amount.

That's why many peoples suggested to the cycling fishless. Unfortunately, too late for me because I've already bought a fish before setup the tank cycling. So no choice, I have to do fish cycling. Any suggestions guys how to do it?  

What Fluttermoth said. Read the green link in my signature area too.

Thanks the_lock_man & Fluttermith. Useful for.. I just done the 60-70% water changes & did a test. Unfortunately the ammonia are still higher 1.0ppm. The good news is, my Nitrite are less than 0.25ppm. So what should I do now? Do I need to re- change the water again?

Thanks
bam

***Tonite I have to stay up 
sad.png
(Malaysia time 2.30am Friday)...

BamBeckham said:
Thanks the_lock_man & Fluttermith. Useful for.. I just done the 60-70% water changes & did a test. Unfortunately the ammonia are still higher 1.0ppm. The good news is, my Nitrite are less than 0.25ppm. So what should I do now? Do I need to re- change the water again?

Thanks
bam

sad.png

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

Give this one a read :)

Sophie1992 said:

Thanks
bam

sad.png

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

Give this one a read
smile.png

Thanks Sophie. I just post there while you posted here.. 
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back