How to Spook a Koi

koimom

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:crazy: A friend dropped by and check our emergency tank. He recommended draining it and placing a black liner in first, because he said in his experience the white interior spooked koi and would cause them to bang their noses against the sides! Oh dear! (Wonder if it's because WHITE is the Asian color for DEATH?) :blink: Also suggested weighing down the white plastic lattice on top in case they try to jump! Definitely a major learning experience here! So, get to drain and retry. But the good news is last night's repair held! YIPPEE!! So we're closer to moving our koi trio. :thumbs:

Well I have never heard of that, I have kept Koi upto 18" in a large quarantine tank and they have been fine.

that is interesting as when we/I cleaned the ponds I put them in this large white water holder, didn't notice anything as the water got dirty so i couldn't really see what they were doing.....maybe i should paint it black for next time i do it? or green as most ponds come in green.

We called Asahi Koi where we bought our fish. They agreed that white would scare the koi, and to paint the tank black, let it cure, or use the liner. So we added the liner, as it was quicker. They also said that Koi who've grown up in a tank could be over stressed with the filtering of the pond which is different than the tanks filter, so we bought some chemicals to add in every day for the next 10 days to make sure the transfer is a safe, stress free one. You have to wait 24 hours after the first dosage before adding the koi, then dose each day for the remaining 9 days. So...Saturday??? our 3 will be moved finally???

Yep, my head has hurt too on this one, but I'd rather be safe than sorry... :*)

Most reactions

trending

Back