How to properly add sea salt to the water?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Apparently the only way to have live rock in the tank is a DIY live rocks, I need an opinion if this thing and ingredients and pvc primer from this video is safe for fish or not. Also what does “curing” means? @Chad @Colin_T
Curing for concrete/ glue is when the cement/ glue dries. Dry cement becomes a glue when water is added to it and it becomes wet. The more water in the cement, the longer it takes to dry/ cure, and the stronger it is, and the less likely it is to crumble or crack/ break.

Cement dries/ cures faster in warm dry conditions and is more likely to break, crumble or fall apart if made in hot climates or when the temperature is above 20C. In hot climates, you need to make a wet concrete mix so it has more water and takes longer to dry. This wet mix will take longer to cure and give a stronger cement.

You can also sprinkle water on the cement mix while it is curing and this can extend the curing process so it takes longer to dry and gives a stronger concrete.

If you want to do this in Thailand, try to put the concrete mould in a cool room where they keep food or an air conditioned room. And add plenty of water. Have the plastic lid on the container too, this will help keep moisture in the mix.

Personally, I would just look for some dry limestone rocks and use that. Or sneak down to the beach and grab some limestone from there.

Thanks for the very informative info Colin and Chad!

I’ll be trying to get some ingredients for the live rocks!

Ok, I got all of the ingredients: sea shells, sand and cement.

And..also got more questions:
1) I used fine sand in the tank and how do you prevent sand storm from the powerhead? How do you calculate flow?

2) How do I seed coralline algae into the rock?
is this what I have to buy to make them grow?
7D7589B0-1847-41FE-B84C-2770A205C9CD.png

@Colin_T @Chad

1) I used fine sand in the tank and how do you prevent sand storm from the powerhead? How do you calculate flow?
Saltwater sand is typically heavier than freshwater sand. This was my concern when I setup my 29g tank, but I’ve had no issues with it. However, for about 24 hours, the sand will get stirred up a little bit, but it’s not extreme.

Saltwater sand is typically heavier than freshwater sand. This was my concern when I setup my 29g tank, but I’ve had no issues with it. However, for about 24 hours, the sand will get stirred up a little bit, but it’s not extreme.
I should’ve have used live sand but it was too expensive for me, maybe one day.

What kind of filter are you using in your tank btw? I’m struggling with what filter to uses, most youtuber will always make you buy a sump.

1. You don't really need to prevent it. Things will be puffed up at first but generally stay settled afterward.
2. No, you don't need that. If you decide to use it I suggest waiting. Coraline isn't something you must have in your tank.

I’m struggling with what filter to uses, most youtuber will always make you buy a sump.
A sump is best. You can also buy a hang on the back refugium.
Marine tanks usually have a protein skimmer as part of their filtration. But in terms of an actual filter, the bacterial part is done by your rock.
So if you need a filter for particulate matter you can use a canister.

I should’ve have used live sand but it was too expensive for me, maybe one day.

What kind of filter are you using in your tank btw? I’m struggling with what filter to uses, most youtuber will always make you buy a sump.
I used the CaribSea Alive sand, and I really like the grain size and the color.

I use the Seachem Tidal 35. It has a strong enough flow and it has a powerful filtration. (Also has a big media bay)

Here is the tank with the powerhead in it:
E0FFB5FE-940B-4710-A564-AC9331E2649D.jpeg

(As you can see it made a little digit in the sand on the opposite side. That means I just need to adjust it a little up)

I used the CaribSea Alive sand
That's good stuff. There is also a very good reason to have that grain size. The size of the sand is such that it doesn’t hold onto detritus. It has that nice grain size where stuff doesn’t get trapped but there is enough surface area for bacteria to thrive in the sand bed. Also, if you enjoy infauna like worms or snails that dwell in the sand it is perfect. Also perfect for watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

Some powerheads have a flow adjustment mechanism that allows you to reduce the water flow. If not, try to aim the outlet across the tank near the surface. If it still blows the sand around, use a smaller water pump.

Coralline algae will grow in marine tanks over time and you don't need to do or add anything special to get it going. It will appear sooner if you use natural sea water rather than artificial marine salts, or if you add some live rock with the coralline algae on it. But I just used natural sea water and it would appear everywhere.

Right now I have the following in my 24"x12"x15" saltwater tank:
4 common mollies
Freshwater sand and crushed coral as substrate
Hob filter with sponges

I have a canister filter and planned to add biological filter media inside them as I don't have live rock, don't have time to make them and don't wanna buy a sump.

I have Bio ball, ceramic rings and lava stone.
What are the best biological media for a sw tank?

@Colin_T @Chad

I just use sponges on marine tanks. A couple of AquaClear HOB sponges and your good to go.

I just use sponges on marine tanks. A couple of AquaClear HOB sponges and your good to go.
Why don’t you have any biological media though? I’ve heard that saltwater need those.

I have a canister filter and planned to add biological filter media inside them as I don't have live rock, don't have time to make them and don't wanna buy a sump.
You can use that, or a HOB. I’m using a Seachem Prime 35 on my 29g tank and it’s working wonderfully.

Why don’t you have any biological media though? I’ve heard that saltwater need those.
Saltwater is the same as freshwater. Sponges are all you need. If you want to use ceramic beads or something else, that's up to you, but you only need something to trap dirt and hold bacteria, and sponges do that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back