How Should I Cycle My 10 Gallon

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
well I have my 10 gallon set up right now and its in the process of cycling. Currently there are 2 filters being used in it, a Fluvel +2 internal filter (24 gallon filter) and a Tetra Whisper Power Filter (5-10 gallons) so there is a good amount of filteration. Here is what I am wondering though. I have 2 fully cycled tanks and each one will stopped being used after I put the fish into my 10 gallon. Would it be wise to just take the filter from the two 5 gallons and put them into the tetra whisper (it would fit). The filter media is as shown below:

100_1156.jpg


100_1157.jpg


and would be going inside here:

100_1158.jpg



It would fit inside but would it keep the tank cycled after I place the 2 Dwarf Platy, 2 AFD, 1 Green Cory and 1 red platy inside? It works for the current 5 gallon so I would think so. Also as for the bio wheel I can probably use from string and place the wheel below the current of the power filter so it spins and filters the ammonia out.

Would this work and save me the hassle of waiting? And I would not put the other 5 gallon in here for a few weeks when the tank has cycled for awhile.
 
If you move the mature media from the 5 gal to the 10 gal and the stock, but not add anymore stock for a couple of weeks, your 10 gal will be cycled straight away
 
That's what I was hoping to hear, I am running out room to keep all 3 tanks so this should help me out some. Hope all goes well with this.
 
Here is a bit different spin MWood. One 5 gallon is using a biowheel which probably is providing a good part of the biofilter for that tank. It would be worthwhile moving that too if there is some way to do it and be effective. Otherwise what you get from that particular filter will not be the full biofilter you are looking for. It may still be enough for the 10 gallon but may not be as much help as you are expecting.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top