How often to change water

Kelly Preussner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My daughter has a betta tank with 2 fish separated by a divider. It is a 5 gal with filter & heater. I have enclosed a picture of the tank. My question is how often should we change the water & how much water should be changed? Thanks

Water changes should be at least 50% once a week. The only exceptions are if a fish is sick, or the tank is cycling when more water changes should be done.

For my bettas that we’re in a divided tank, I did a 75% water change on tank cleaning day and another 25% mid-week. That as because they were in small quarters and both producing waste.

Wow, that is much more than we are doing. The tank is very clean & clear. We have been doing monthly 50% change. I don’t have a small vacuum so have not touched the gravel. Should I be cleaning gravel? Thanks

Attachments

• AD1BCA2C-B612-4696-9208-0738EEE42F91.jpeg
    AD1BCA2C-B612-4696-9208-0738EEE42F91.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 159
  • B8A86386-9CD3-47B9-A8E7-139646D6BC5D.jpeg
    B8A86386-9CD3-47B9-A8E7-139646D6BC5D.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 102
It helps to use a siphon to clean the gravel, like you are vacuuming it. Lots of crud settles in there - fish waste, uneaten food. If you stir it up would probably surprise you how much can be in there.

Just because the water looks clean it doesn't mean it is good. The things we need to remove from the tank - nitrate, fish hormones, things excreted by the fish - are all soluble in water and we can't see them.

Most members on here do a weekly water change. My nitrates were high and is why I did twice a week water changes. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. That will tell you a lot on how your water quality is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Levels are all good. PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 & nitrate 5.0
I am sure fish waste is on gravel but probably no food. My daughter feeds them 3 pellets everyday & they eat all 3 immediately. They seem quite hungry but don’t want to overfeed. Does that seem about right for food?
We will switch to weekly water changes. Thanks

I am the wrong person to ask about feeding. I know I overfeed. :-(

I am sure fish waste is on gravel but probably no food. My daughter feeds them 3 pellets everyday & they eat all 3 immediately. They seem quite hungry but don’t want to overfeed. Does that seem about right for food?
Well done your daughter. If more people fed that way we would have a lot less help my fish is sick / my tank is cloudy / my ammonia is too high (etc etc) posts.

I also do 75% per week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back