How Much Weight In Rocks Is Okay For My Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

christylee

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
How much weight in rocks is okay for a 46 gallon tank?

I'm setting up a tanganyika tank and will be using rocks to form caves and such but I'm afraid of it all weighing too much and breaking it.

It depends on the stand and the support you have for the tank.
I think around <10 kg would be alright for most tanks.

Put some eggcrate (light difuser panels) on glass then sand and rocks directly on crate then sand around rocks. This will allow even weight throughout tank.
My 160 gallon will have easily 200-300lbs of rock and i not worried at all by doing this.
As long as your stand can hold weight you should be ok

zoopkamol said:
Put some eggcrate (light difuser panels) on glass then sand and rocks directly on crate then sand around rocks. This will allow even weight throughout tank.
My 160 gallon will have easily 200-300lbs of rock and i not worried at all by doing this.
As long as your stand can hold weight you should be ok

Thanks! My stand is the Aqueon wooden oak cabinet thing that is made for the tank so it should hold the weight! Now I just have to figure out where to get these eggcrate panels lol!

Any hardware store sells them. Up here in Canada a 2'x4' panel goes for $12 or so.
Or could "borrow" milk crates and cut them down. My 160 took 2 panels im sure 1 would be more then enough fir you

Most reactions

Back