How Much Sand?

ace-e36

New Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
bournemouth, dorset
Hi all,

Its getting closer to getting my new tank so want to pass the excitement and start buying what i can in advance.
Am going to putting sand in it and will probably be using the following as its cheap and pretty much ready to use apart from cleaning it:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...text%3ESAND.htm

Question is how many bags will i need to put a 1" to 1.5" layer on the bottom.

the tank size is 48" long x 18" deep (the height is also 28" if that matters)


Ali
 
I'm about to do exactly the same. I went and took a look at the bags (my sister has some for her kids' sandpit), and did some rough volume calculations from the size of the bags, and I reckon 2 bags should give me a 1.5" layer on the bottom of my 48"/18" tank with a little to spare for topups in case of over-vigorous gravel-vaccing in the future.

Of course, my calculations might be a way off, but I think I'm pretty much correct. :)
 
many thanks for that. i haven't looked at the quality of the sand but am i right in thinking its the really fine whitish stuff?
also would this accomidate a couple of live plants?

regards ali
 
I use argos playsand, great stuff and it should be fine with plants, just stick a root tab under where you are going to put the plant.
 
awokf8.jpg

Play sand from B&Q.
It's all the same stuff though.

One 10kg bag was too much for my 3ft tank. So I would say you would only need one bag haha. Good value eh?
Might want to get 2 to be safe.
 
I heard a rough estimate was 1lbs / gal. Seem to work fine with mine... more or less depending on preference I guess.
 
I used a 15kg bad of Argos Play Sand in my 3ft/15" which covered the bottom in about 2" so probably 15kg would do it :) £2.89 from Argos (when I got mine last week)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top