how much is overcrowding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phish2189

Reaction score
im going to start adding fish to my 20 gallon (u.s.) and i wanted to know how much i can add of each-

neon tetras
cardinal tetras
black widow tetras
angelfish(im only getting 1)
cories
siamese algae eater (just one too)
pleco

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/..._calculator.php

This link would help you with how many inches of fish you can keep in your tank. Remeber to consider the adult size of the fish when deciding what to stock and also consider what levels the tank will swim at (having 15 middle swimmers might be too much but 5 bottom, 5 middle and 5 top may be OK). Also consider the space taken up by ornaments, plants, equipment etc.

From what I can gather Angel fish are better kept in a tall aquarium.

HTH :D

A lot of it depends on the filtration of your tank. Also live plants helps.

I'd advise against an angelfish for a 20g. They need more swimming space and after a while you may have a shark in the tank (grows so big that its dorsal fin sticks out).

If you're really set on an angel then most likely a "no" for the neons cuz they'll get eaten. Some people have success with them together, many don't.

Most plecos get too big for a 20g. A clown pleco or bristlenose may be an appropriate choice.

I would say a school of 6 tetras, a clown pleco, the SAE, and 3 corydoras would be great. I say stick to one species of tetra because they need to be in groups of preferably 6+. So if you want 3 species, you'd need 18 tetras and thats too many.

HTH.

astroboy said:
I say stick to one species of tetra because they need to be in groups of preferably 6+. So if you want 3 species, you'd need 18 tetras and thats too many.
Id say its not necessary for a school of 6 I hav e groups of 3 and they are all happy.

IME tetras are much happier in a larger group. It is also nicer to look at in your tank.

Id say its not necessary for a school of 6 I hav e groups of 3 and they are all happy.
Can you read your fishes minds? :rolleyes:

astroboy said:
Can you read your fishes minds? :rolleyes:
Can you? Who is to say your number is correct and his is wrong? If his tetras are healthy, eating well, and active, it is generally accepted that they can be called "happy". Don't give others a hard time for doing the exact same thing you are just because you disagree with the other persons number.

I do agree, skip the neons if you get an angel. Also, I agree that most common plecos will get far to large for a 20 gallon. You can probably get away with the angel 5-6 cories, and an assortment of tetras, maybe 6 total, depending on their adult size (I am not sure about how large tetras get, as I don't keep them).

\Dan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back