soniamakowski

Reaction score
PLEASE READ!!!
Hello! I'm going to soon become a new owner of guppies (Though I have been an owner of a betta before). I am interested in how much guppies would be able to fit in my 10 gallon tank? I was think of getting about 4 guppies and MAYBE get 2 dwarf gouramis. And also, I don't know if this makes any difference, but my tanks hight is a bit taller then the length.

Id stick with a group of 6 males and leave it there.

Females do better in a 20 gallon or larger because they will keep having babies.

Do NOT do dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon, especially 2 males. Only ever should be 1 male per tank, they're a lot like bettas. And any dwarf gourami with colour is male, with exception of the powder blues which are harder to tell apart... but even one dwarf gourami needs a 20 gallon as theyre active and can get 3 inches long, which doesn't give them much space in a 10.

If you are ok with your guppies having lots of fry, then 2 males and 6 females is a safe bet. But be warned, you will have LOTS of babies to sell or give to friends! Also, I'm not sure if you are aware but you ABSOLUTELY need to cycle your tank before you add fish! If you don't do this then you'll have a bad time as your fish randomly start dying shortly after adding them. One last thing that I would say is that having lots of live plants makes things much easier to keep a healthy tank. Here is a guide that was extremely useful for me when I was entering the hobby:

The rules for guppies is that there should be one male for 2 females. I also think guppies like to be in groups.
Don't get female guppies unless you have an outlet for the millions of babies you will end up with!

You will be amazed at how quickly they breed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back