How Much Does One Of These Usually Cost?

Synodontis petricola (real - not lucipinnis) ML wild caught 45.00 ea

Out of all my bookmarked seller sites, I could only find 1 that listed them.
 
S. petricola and S. lucipinnis, are the only species with a solid white leading dorsal and pectoral fin ray and the spotted body pattern.
S. lucipinnis appears to grow to smaller a mature size than S. petricola and is less heavily spotted in comparison.

Synodontis lucipinnis
The petricola-like Synodontis lucipinnis is believed to be the same species sold in the aquarium trade under the Dwarf petricola common name.

Reaching a size of up to 10cm/4" TL (some 3.5cm smaller than the largest petricola), morphometrically it differs very little from petricola, making the fish somewhat tricky to tell apart.

Synodontis lucipinnis can be distinguished from petricola by the lack of an axilliary pore and the presence of "light-coloured windows" at the bases of the rayed fins.

It is known only from the Musende Rocks of Mpulungu in Zambia, at the southernmost tip of the Lake.
 
I would imagine they both have very similar coloring. That's why they are often confused. It's really hard to tell the difference, w/o close examination.
 
I would imagine they both have very similar coloring. That's why they are often confused. It's really hard to tell the difference, w/o close examination.


so what would u suggest to do to identify it , as i dont no were the axillary pore is or whcih fins it is that have the windows?
 
I don't know off hand either...I'd have to read up on it. If you really want to know the difference you could google it.

Or try to get full grown adults. A difference is size.
 
The synodontis I bought were £12 Ea but they where run of the mill not wild caught. WC can go for like 40£, they are one of the most beautiful catfish imo and have a great personality :D.

ID = Pretty much what KJ said, the white edging on their fins
 
the guy i bought it from , bought it from maidnenhead aquatics at 1inch for £25 so u think this is prbably petricola??
 
I'm sorry it's really hard to say and since it was so small I'd lean toward tank bred, though that's not always the case.

There's not much info on breeding them b/c it's hard to tell which species someone actually has so they don't really know for sure if Petricola or Lucipinnis were bred.

Anyone know where these pores are or have any links w/more info, please :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top