How Many/what Types In 10 Gals?

Pl*co

New Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have three 10 gals I'm not using, what could I put in them? I'd like to have mixed species so what combos would go good together?

I like most fish but esp want guppies, cherry barbs, platies, mollies, tiger barbs, glofish, basically any tetras and danios, ghost shrimp, amano shirmp, apple snails, ottos.. and probably more. Any recommendations? It doesn't really have to be any of these fish, just a combo of some.

Btw- I'm going to cycle of course and probably won't even be able to get anymore fish for months (except perhaps bettas).
 
i would do
1st tank
2 male cherry barbs 4 female cherry barbs (few shrimp optional)

2nd tank
shrimp tank
dont no how many you can have but they always look good

3rd tank
a group of shoaling small tetra or white cloud mountain minnows
a few ottos (again dont no how many)
 

Sorrry, I didn't see that. Awesome post :) But I didn't see guppies on the list. It is okay to have them in 10 gal? About how many if I were to have a guppy only tank?

I'd attempt to breed guppies in one.

Yea, I'd like to breed guppies at some point but that would require at least two 10 gals (separating males and females)..

10 gallons in my opinion is too small for most tetras, but ember tetras will be fine, again micro rasboras will be fine

Oh okay. I didn't know that.
 
Shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp is what I'd do. :lol:
I'd probably make one a high-end brackish tank and keep hermit crabs and some Halocaridina rubra.
 
get endlers instead of guppies if you are going to have to keep them in a small tank
then you could have a trio of endlers and 6 pymy corys and an apple snail and some shrimp

the endlers will fill the tak themselves as long as you have it planted with plents of hiding spaces for the fry
 
the endlers will fill the tak themselves as long as you have it planted with plents of hiding spaces for the fry

But won't they just keep breeding unless I separate males and females? Or do they stop breeding when the tank can't handle anymore? (I heard that ghost shrimp do that?).

get endlers instead of guppies if you are going to have to keep them in a small tank
then you could have a trio of endlers and 6 pymy corys and an apple snail and some shrimp

Hmm thats a good combo too... its so hard to decide.

Shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp is what I'd do.

Yeah I love shrimp so I may do that one day too. I wish I had more than three 10 gals and more space lol.

What are the general prices of pygmy corys and endlers? Can they be found at walmart? (easiest place for me to get fish, my parents dont go to the petstore often).

Also, can African Dwarf Frogs get along with most of the fish mentioned? I was reading a great caresheet on them and they sound awesome. I'd love to get some.
Wait, nevermind, I'll keep them with my future bettas, they get along well with them and have the same needs.
 
Pl*co, I have never seen an endler in a pet shop much less in a Walmart. The pygmy sized cories are often available in good pet shops but I would not expect to find them in a Walmart because they would not sell fast enough for their business approach. They sell for about the same price as an aneaus, a panda or a trilineatus cory.
 
Hi Pl*co :)

I'd keep 6 or 7 corys in one of the tanks, with a sand or fine gravel substrate and maybe a plant or two.

C. aeneus bronze and C. aeneus albino are the same species but look quite different. They school together and would give you an active and interesting tank. Both are readily available at almost all lfs and Walmarts.

:D
 
Be warned that female guppies - and this includes Endlers - will continue to spit out babies for up to 2 years after separation from males.
By the time the fry are old enough for you to sex, they'll have figured it out and the carefully separated females will start producing young.
It sounds dreadful, but the best way to prevent a population explosion - unless you have unlimited room/homes for these - is to keep them in with fish that can eat at least some of the babies as born.
It's actually kinder than dying of overcrowding, or being sold as feeder fish (possibly even dangled out of water for lizards, etc.,) after being kept in possibly bad conditions.
Out here, at least, pure Endlers are rare, although guppy/Endler crosses are fairly common and very beautiful.
And while pure Endlers would be worth-while breeding, the crosses are too often considered expendable and sold as cheap feeders - that being how I acquired mine.
I wouldn't trade my boys for anything - but I wouldn't breed them, either.
 
Hi Pl*co :)

I'd keep 6 or 7 corys in one of the tanks, with a sand or fine gravel substrate and maybe a plant or two.

C. aeneus bronze and C. aeneus albino are the same species but look quite different. They school together and would give you an active and interesting tank. Both are readily available at almost all lfs and Walmarts.

:D

I have been considering keeping some corys in one of my 10 gallon but did not realise I could keep normal size cories in a 10 gallon. Is that correct that 6 or 7 would be OK in that tank???
 

Most reactions

Back
Top