how many watts per gallon????

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
i have just obtained a new 55gallon tank and i very much want to plant it (heavily)
so whats the verdict?
how many watts per gallon do i need to plant it?
i am so sick of low light plants :<
right now the 55gallon has 2 X 55watt bulbs = 110Watts

is that enough? :blink:

2 wpg should be good for most low-medium plants. are you desperate to start growing really difficult high-light-demanding plants? if so, you might want a bit more - 3-4wpg.

if it was me I would stick with the 2wpg and avoid the hassle of upgrading :lol: after all its a lot better than the 1wpg that a lot of tanks have. depends on you though, and how much you like plants. :)

if you are sick of low lightr plant and want to move on to CO2 and more harder to keep plant you might start looking at 3wpg or more lights

2 watts per gallon is said to be medium lights, I have more that in my 30 gallon, and would still like to add more..

I have a new 65 Gallon tank, I'm looking at 5 x40 watts but I would have done the same if it was a 55 gallon

So dont ask me as I would add two more 55W tubes if I could , but you could have a heavy planted tank with the current setup.. Also you will have to pick your high light plant just like you had to pick you low light plant..

I have 1.8 watts per gallon (33 US gallon, 61 W) and have a thriving planted setup including many red plants.

Attachments

• gf.JPG
    gf.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 80
here's mine at 4 watts to the gallon. I know it needs some attention but my growth is not as high as many thinks I would love to add more.

gf225, picking the right plants you could have a more densely planted tank than yours or mine with 1wpg

maybe you must look at what plant you would like to have and then get the light you'll need to grow them..

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 85
gf225 said:
I have 1.8 watts per gallon (33 US gallon, 61 W) and have a thriving planted setup including many red plants.
thats really impressive :drool:
so any tips on good medium light plants that are hearty and full looking?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back