How Many Small Fish in 25gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I really want to have a tank with only small fish or Nano fish.

i plan to bought 25gal and stock the tank with

10 Dwarf Rasbora (Boraras Maculatus)
6 to 8 Paska’s Blue-Eyes (Pseudomugil Paskai)
Some Amano Shrimps or some Snails

will i overstocked the tank with that plan?
Also, are they compatible being put in one tank?

That won't be overstocked. I would actually suggest upping the boraras to 20-30.
Your water parameters may be a limiting factor. The boraras need very soft, acidic water - I am not familiar with the blue eyes' reqirements. Ideal conditions for boraras would be problematic for snails (except malaysian trumpet snails) and most shrimps.

Best thing is to establish your water parameters, specifically GH, KH and pH and work from there. If you post the results someone will be able to advise.

The tank below is a 22G long and has a pH somewhere around 5 with GH=KH=0. I have 20 boraras (various types even though I ordered b.brigittae). I also have 20 ember tetras and a few other nano fish in there.
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245

There is little information out there about P. paskai.

FishBase gives the hardness range as ? to 15 dH, meaning they don't know its lower limit. pH 6.5 to 7.5.

The rainbowfish website Colin_T always recommends does not give hardness information but says the stream where it was collected had pH 6.0 to 6.5 at the time of collection.

That won't be overstocked. I would actually suggest upping the boraras to 20-30.
Your water parameters may be a limiting factor. The boraras need very soft, acidic water - I am not familiar with the blue eyes' reqirements. Ideal conditions for boraras would be problematic for snails (except malaysian trumpet snails) and most shrimps.

Best thing is to establish your water parameters, specifically GH, KH and pH and work from there. If you post the results someone will be able to advise.

The tank below is a 22G long and has a pH somewhere around 5 with GH=KH=0. I have 20 boraras (various types even though I ordered b.brigittae). I also have 20 ember tetras and a few other nano fish in there.
20210216_192746502_ios-jpg.129245
There is little information out there about P. paskai.

FishBase gives the hardness range as ? to 15 dH, meaning they don't know its lower limit. pH 6.5 to 7.5.

The rainbowfish website Colin_T always recommends does not give hardness information but says the stream where it was collected had pH 6.0 to 6.5 at the time of collection.
Based on the link @Essjay posted their natural habitat is similar to b.maculatus https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-maculatus/, so as long as you can provide the right water parameters they should be fine together.

thank you everyone :)

i think the paskai's PH range is pretty close to the Boraras. but, the snail and shrimp will not thrive in that tank because they like harder water with higher PH.

my water is so soft it came from my tap with only 6 to 6.5 PH with crushed coral i can manage to make it as high as 7 for some of my tanks.

if i change the snail or shrimp to corydoras pigmy how should i stock them to avoid any over stocking?

Add at least 10 pygmy Cory, I would recommend 15 here. They enjoy shelter and biofilm so leaf litter will be a good addition such as dried Indian Almond leaves.

Last edited:
I too suffer with my overly soft water :fish:its a pain in the ?
I, and many others, envy those with soft water in their taps :whistle:

i really want a cichlid tank but with my water i know i can't lol

Add at least 10 pygmy Cory, I would recommend 15 here. They enjoy shelter and biofilm so leaf litter will be a good addition such as dried Indian Almond leaves.

10 pigmy cories will be so cute!!!

Hello :)
These are schooling fishes that (much) prefer to be numerous of their kind. I would say 25 Boraras maculatus and 12-15 Pseudomugil.
You'll have to densely plant you tank.

i will, i really want a tank with so many plants but haven't got the time to really build one :)

Anyway, thank you everyone.

Maybe i will have

20 Dwarf Rasbora
10 Pseudomugil Paskai

i'll skip the Corydoras Pigmy and maybe have them in a Black Water tank that i'm currently building now :)

i hope i'm not overstocking the tank lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back