How many red cherry shrimps with a betta and 6 neon tetra?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Roddy Grant

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First time poster and I am new to the forum - I have been a lurker for a few weeks and appreciating all the info shared.

I have had a look online for the answers to my questions (which I couldn't find) so apologies if I am repeating something here.

I am new to keeping tropical fish and a few weeks ago got a 25 litre (so close to 7 gallon) tank which the fish seem to be doing well in.
I have 1 male betta, 6 neon tetras and 1 bristlenose pleco. So far the betta seems to be unfazed by the tetras which is good.

I introduced 2 red cherry shrimp into the tank about a week ago and both are doing well and again, the betta is leaving them alone.

We're getting so much joy out of the shrimp that I would like to add some more but do not want to cause an over stocking problem so may not be able to do so. From what I have read shrimp do not produce a lot of waste so should not impact the water quality too much, but I am wondering if in my current set up I can add some more and if so, how many?

The tank has 1 wisteria plant along with a piece of driftwood that diagonally covers the base of the tank, it obviously has good hiding places as the shrimp can disappear for hours and I can't find them even with a torch (and I have been looking out of paranoia that the betta has made a meal of them).

Oh and I'm aware that the bristlenose will eventually outgrow this tank, I have a larger tank that I intend to move it into in the future.

Appreciate any advice on stocking numbers for CRS :).

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

First time poster and I am new to the forum - I have been a lurker for a few weeks and appreciating all the info shared.

I have had a look online for the answers to my questions (which I couldn't find) so apologies if I am repeating something here.

I am new to keeping tropical fish and a few weeks ago got a 25 litre (so close to 7 gallon) tank which the fish seem to be doing well in.
I have 1 male betta, 6 neon tetras and 1 bristlenose pleco. So far the betta seems to be unfazed by the tetras which is good.

I introduced 2 red cherry shrimp into the tank about a week ago and both are doing well and again, the betta is leaving them alone.

We're getting so much joy out of the shrimp that I would like to add some more but do not want to cause an over stocking problem so may not be able to do so. From what I have read shrimp do not produce a lot of waste so should not impact the water quality too much, but I am wondering if in my current set up I can add some more and if so, how many?

The tank has 1 wisteria plant along with a piece of driftwood that diagonally covers the base of the tank, it obviously has good hiding places as the shrimp can disappear for hours and I can't find them even with a torch (and I have been looking out of paranoia that the betta has made a meal of them).

Oh and I'm aware that the bristlenose will eventually outgrow this tank, I have a larger tank that I intend to move it into in the future.

Appreciate any advice on stocking numbers for CRS :).

Thanks.
If the cherry shrimp are a male and a female they will breed naturally and very easily. In a couple months you will have lots of cherry shrimp babies. Make sure you have enough cover for your cherry shrimp to escape too or hide. It is more important for the babies since they are more vulnerable and if you do not want them to get eaten. Also the shrimp will usually hide from others too molt their exoskeletons.

Cherry shrimp are so small that they have little to no bio-load you can have quite a bit without any overstocking issues. For your setup I would say you could have around 20-30 of them, even more.

They produce so little waste and they are so small that it is not much to be worried about.

I would be more concerned about your Bristlenose Pleco then the cherry shrimp in my opinion.

That is good you will re-home the Bristlenose Pleco and you have some cover for the shrimp to hide in!

Welcome to the forum.

"I would be more concerned about your Bristlenose Pleco then the cherry shrimp in my opinion."

+1 to this, even a small BNP produces way too much bioload for a tank that size.

Is the tank cycled?

Bettas and Neon Tetras should not be kept together.

BNP’s need a much larger tank than just 7 gallons. Maybe to start out with, but they will quickly need a 29g+.

As far as cherry shrimp goes, some bettas will get along with cherry shrimp. My betta in my 10g chases them occasionally, but my tank is so heavily planted, they can hide really easily.

As others have noted a 7 gallon tank is overstocked with your current fish load. That size tank should really just be for the betta at this point, maybe some shrimp. However, I would be prepared for the betta to turn your shrimp into an expensive snack at some point.

As others have noted a 7 gallon tank is overstocked with your current fish load. That size tank should really just be for the betta at this point, maybe some shrimp. However, I would be prepared for the betta to turn your shrimp into an expensive snack at some point.
I have found that even if aggressive bettas, shrimp can still be kept in the same tank as long as, the tank is densely planted and provides plenty of hiding spaces for the shrimp.

I have noticed that the shrimp in my 10g and the shrimp in my 20g/29g show different characteristics in their movement and routines.

The shrimp in my 10g stay on the bottom, looking for food as such, but the shrimp in my 20g/29g swim around and will rest on the plants.

Anacharis and Java Moss provide excellent hiding for cherry shrimp. (As you can see in my signature picture. ;))

I think your tank is overstocked and I would rehome the pleco. I also don't think bettas and neon tetras are ideal tankmates though I know it's possible. The betta is often stressed over time even if it looks ok. Stressed fish get sick easier and suffer fin rot easier.

I have a 10G with six neon tetras and about 100 Blue Velvet shrimp and it works great. Whenever the shrimp seem too many, I just donate a bunch to the local fish store for store credit. I also have a 5G with a Betta and probably 30 RCS and they get along great as it's heavily planted. I also donate those to the LFS whenever there are too many of them.

I tried another tank with a betta and RCS and the betta murdered them all in a few days. There were bits of shrimp all over. It really depends on the betta. The other thing to keep in mind is that even a nice betta, like the one I have now, if you leave for a long weekend and don't feed him for a few days may decide to eat shrimp. I did that once and came back to some dead shrimp.

I think your tank is overstocked and I would rehome the pleco. I also don't think bettas and neon tetras are ideal tankmates though I know it's possible. The betta is often stressed over time even if it looks ok. Stressed fish get sick easier and suffer fin rot easier.

I have a 10G with six neon tetras and about 100 Blue Velvet shrimp and it works great. Whenever the shrimp seem too many, I just donate a bunch to the local fish store for store credit. I also have a 5G with a Betta and probably 30 RCS and they get along great as it's heavily planted. I also donate those to the LFS whenever there are too many of them.

I tried another tank with a betta and RCS and the betta murdered them all in a few days. There were bits of shrimp all over. It really depends on the betta. The other thing to keep in mind is that even a nice betta, like the one I have now, if you leave for a long weekend and don't feed him for a few days may decide to eat shrimp. I did that once and came back to some dead shrimp.
If you ever feel like shipping some of those donations, please keep me in mind!
And, I've had the same experience with bettas and shrimp...sometimes they live together fine, other times...well, the shrimp disappear and the betta gains weight...

And, I've had the same experience with bettas and shrimp...sometimes they live together fine, other times...well, the shrimp disappear and the betta gains weight...

You two could maybe work out a deal in a PM, if you are really interested in getting BVS. BVS are a rarity in my parts.

You two could maybe work out a deal in a PM, if you are really interested in getting BVS. BVS are a rarity in my parts.
I would love that, I've kept Blue Velvets in the past...

Thanks all for the responses!

I’m going to rehome the pleco ASAP. I’ll see if the shop will take it back and if not offer it online free to a good home with adequate space. It’s about 2.5-3cm at the moment.

I’ll also had some more plants to create more hiding places for the shrimp.

is there any kind of bottom feeder I can get in a tank so small?

I did a bit of research on keeping neon tetras with the betta and most of it was positive but a lot of mixed opinions out there. I don’t want the betta stressed.

Any signs I should look for with the betta that I might need to rehome the neon tetras? He seems peaceful at the moment but I do intend on a bigger tank for another room so may need to act on that more quickly.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and help.

Last edited:

I’m going to rehome the pleco ASAP. I’ll see if the shop will take it back and if not offer it online free to a good home with adequate space. It’s about 2.5-3cm at the moment.

I did a bit of research on keeping neon tetras with the betta and most of it was positive but a lot of mixed opinions out there. I don’t want the betta stressed.

Any signs I should look for with the betta that I might need to rehome the neon tetras? He seems peaceful at the moment but I do intend on a bigger tank for another room so may need to act on that more quickly.

The only bottom feeders I can think of are possibly pigmy cories and Otocinclus catfish

Otocinclus catfish are really sensitive to any changes in water chemistry, they are mostly kept by more experienced fish keepers. If you want to keep them you have to make sure your aquarium is really stable and balance.

You can add around 6 Pygmy Corydoras in your tank and they should be fine. They are really tiny.

You can also try Thai micro crabs but they are an invertebrate and are not as commonly available in fish stores.

The only bottom feeders I can think of are possibly pigmy cories and Otocinclus catfish

Otocinclus catfish are really sensitive to any changes in water chemistry, they are mostly kept by more experienced fish keepers. If you want to keep them you have to make sure your aquarium is really stable and balance.

You can add around 6 Pygmy Corydoras in your tank and they should be fine. They are really tiny.

You can also try Thai micro crabs but they are an invertebrate and are not as commonly available in fish stores.
Thank you - I will look into the pygmy corydora and rehome the bristlenose.

I'm terrified of shipping live animals, but if you're ever in VA, I'm happy to give you a bunch to take back with you.

If you add shrimp, I don't think you need a bottom feeder. They do a pretty good job of cleaning the bottom in my experience once there are enough of them.

On the betta, neon tetra question: make sure there isn't too much chasing or nipping going on. Also, watch the betta for fin rot or tears in his fins. That could indicate a problem. Also, if the betta seems to spend a lot of his time hiding, that would indicate stress.

I would plan on rehoming the tetras to your new tank whenever you get it. The betta will love having the tank to himself. My betta shared a 10G with six Harlequin Rasbora for a while and he seemed ok but was hiding a lot. I moved him to his own 5G and he's been much happier and bolder.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back