how many oto's for 55 gallon??????

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rixy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
how many oto's should i get for my 55 gallon????? i have 9 sterbai as the floor cleanup crew and 2 japonica shrimp for algae on plants.thanks in advance. :nod:

hi

i was told that u should go for 1 per 10 gallons (if u have the room, obviously). unfortunatly i didnt take the advice and didnt buy enough :S so will be buying a couple more when i see them for sale :blink:

anyone else who can help me as i intend to get them tomorrow.

I just recently purchased some Oto for my 55 gallon to clean up the algae. They're doing a pretty good job so far, although there's still a lot of algae on the sand.

Ottocinclus need to be kept in groups of at least 5. 8 is a highly recommended number.

I didn't have any algae eating fish in my 55 gallon aquarium so I bought 6 to add to it, and supplement with sinking algae wafers when I feel the need to.

I would buy at least 5 if I were you.

6 was the number i was going to reccomend. You will most likely quickly find they've eaten all the algae up. So you'll want to substitute their diet with algae wafers or cucumber

My mollies and guppies chase the cories and otos away from the algae tablets. So far everyone is chubby and growing despite the fact that they dont get much access the tablets. I drop cucumbers in every now and then but so far it seems they are ignored. I tend to over feed the tank to compensate my bottom feeders. I do a quickie vacuum on Wednesdays and a 25% water change on Saturdays.

So far so good.

I wouldve suggested 6-8. 6 for the size of tank. 8 to allow for casualties and also to keep the strongest 6.

The 10 gallon rule is spot on. I bought 6 for my 33USG and I now have 3. Not being cruel but they are very sensitive and quite weak ao I think it is best to get a couple more just to make sure you have enough survivors

(although the 3 that dies in mine got trapped by a mesh wall that was for growing moss)

I do often read and hear about people asking why their Otos died.

I tend to add a few normal cheapo algae catfish pellets as well and the plecs clear them up if the Otos don't eat them in the photoperiod.

Andy

Hate to hijack a thread, but a have a group of female bettas. Can they live with otos? I already introduced a white cloud mountain minnow (wish I could get more) and they left him alone completely, although he occasionaly looks around at them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back