How Many Fishes In A 30 Galon Tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mesahil

Reaction score
I setup a 30 galon tank. how many tropical fishes i can put it in. I have already pput 6 fishs which are small and tank looks empty.

fill that sucker up! if you stick to small community species you can put 30 inches worth of fish in there considering no fish is any bigger than 3 or 4 inches. the key is having more fish that poop less and less fish that poop more! get a small breed of pleco and a few different types of schooling fish, plus maybe an odd ball or two. corys are always good...yoyo loaches are pleasurable but mine only comes out to feed....go pygmy and you can have even more of them! good luck buddy

I wouldn't follow that inch per gallon method, as it can be very misleading. In terms of what you could put in there, would mainly depend on what type of fish you want. Tetras, Barbs, Danios, and livebearers are some nice common fish that can go in a 30 gallon. Also it will depend on what types of fish you have in there already................what fish do you have in there?

If you do buy a pleco make sure you do reasearch about the type of plec you get. The ones in the pet stores are often guviniles (not fully grown). They useually get pretty big.

I wouldn't follow that inch per gallon method, as it can be very misleading.

It is, but it does have a good place: if you limit to small fish, it's usually an underestimate with adaquate filtration, excepting some oddly shaped tanks. In most cases it makes a safe point to start from.

These are small fishes abot 2 inches each. i have six rite now these are one each . I am adding few more today.

Serpae tetra
assorted angel
flame tetra
red wag pletty
silver wag pletty
silver red guppy

The two types of tetra need to be in a shoal of at least 6 each. If you increase the numbers of these two, your tank will be fully stocked. Also, the serpaes are known fin nippers, so the angelfish is in danger.
If either of the platies or the guppy are female, you'll soon have fry. You don't need a male as most females are already pregnant when you buy them and can store sperm for several months. The other fish will probably eat the fry though.

In your other post you say you've just set up the tank. Did you cycle it before adding fish? If not, you mustn't add any more, and you need to read this
http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...eady-have-fish/

Welcome to the forum Mesahil. Before you go get any more fish please tell us how long your tank has been set up. My guess is that it is less than a month and that it has not been cycled and tested to make sure everything is still OK. Please have a read here http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/ before answering that question. If the tank is not cycled, you need to start testing your water and doing frequent enough water changes to keep your fish alive. At the same time you want to add no more fish at all until the cycle finishes. Your tank should not look empty until the cycle finishes, it should be empty.
Your nice little angel fish will get to between 4 and 6 inches in size so don't count it as 2 inches in your inch per gallon equation, use 6 instead. Most fish at the fish store are immature and smaller than they will grow to be. You need to be using their full grown size when estimating how many fish you can keep.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back