How many Bloodfin Tetras in 55 gallon tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering how many bloodfin tetras I can have (comfortably, I want all my fish to be happy and healthy) in my 55 gallon tank? I don't want it to look too crowded, but I want to have a nice school. The only other tank mates would be
1 Electric Blue Acara
a school of pygmy cories (between 12 and 18)
1 BN Pleco

The tank has been running for about 2 months with high filtration and all water parameters are consistently great.

I do already have 12 bloodfin tetras who are doing well and just wasn't sure if I could add more, to maybe bring my school up to 18ish

If it matters, the tank has some live plants an driftwood. Lots of nice hiding places but also a good amount of swimming space

Lots of plants and as long as the Blue Acara behaves you could have a school of say 30. I love Bloodfins, cool fish.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

How often do you feed them?
What do you feed them?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

Is the Blue Acara full grown?
I have a few concerns about Blue Acaras with Pygmy Corydoras. If they are getting along that is fine but watch them.

Lots of plants and as long as the Blue Acara behaves you could have a school of say 30. I love Bloodfins, cool fish.
So far he is behaving! Thank you for the reply! I adore the bloodfins
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
48 x 13 x 21 (inches)
How often do you feed them?
What do you feed them?
I feed TetraMin Tropical flakes, tubifex worm cubes, and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. They get fed 5 days a week, I don't feed them on Sunday or Wednesday
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
I change about 10% of the water and vacuum the substrate once a week, BUT I just got a nicer syphon that will make water changes easier so I plan to do 25% per week. I dechlorinate all new water with Seachem Prime.
Is the Blue Acara full grown?
I have a few concerns about Blue Acaras with Pygmy Corydoras. If they are getting along that is fine but watch them.
I meant to ask about that too. The acara is about 3 inches right now. I count my catfish daily, and am prepared to rehome the acara if he starts eating his tankmates

Last edited:
I also OCCASIONALLY feed freeze dried bloodworms, but only as a very rare treat and I soak them first

Do a bigger (50-75%) water change each week and you could have 18 bloodfins in the tank without any issues (assuming blue doesn't go homicidal and eat everyone). However, they don't normally so you should be fine.

I have a school of 10 (They are Glass Blood Fins though) in my 20g long, so I would say 15-20.

Do a bigger (50-75%) water change each week and you could have 18 bloodfins in the tank without any issues (assuming blue doesn't go homicidal and eat everyone). However, they don't normally so you should be fine.
Thank you for the reply! 18 sounds like the perfect number. I just got a siphon that will connect to my sink, so I don't have to use my 1 gallon pitcher and the siphon for my 10 gallon anymore, so I can definitely step up my water changes. I am just waiting for my dad to help me order the attachment online, because apparently my bathroom sink is too small. Adding 6 more to the 12 I already have will only cost me $20, which is all I can afford :lol:
I have a school of 10 (They are Glass Blood Fins though) in my 20g long, so I would say 15-20.
Oooo, ok. Thank you for the reply. Is there a difference between glass bloodfins and bloodfins?

Oooo, ok. Thank you for the reply. Is there a difference between glass bloodfins and bloodfins?
Yes, there is:

Glass Blood Fin:
0D531DA3-53C3-4ABA-BE8A-98A1CEB90C1C.jpeg

Regular Blood Fins:
4D385DAE-D76F-4EF8-AC2F-AE757F4CE1A6.jpeg
(https://www.bangaloreaquarium.com/glass-bloodfin-tetra/)
(https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/bloodfin-tetra-care-guide)

———

The GBFT are see through, sort of like glass catfish.

Ohhhhhh ok! Thank you both for the clarification! They are both really awesome looking. I am glad my LFS only had one option, I wouldn't have been able to decide :lol:

Same as with the pristella tetra, Pristella maxillaris.....there's an "X-ray" hybrid, as well as others with solid body color

Same as with the pristella tetra, Pristella maxillaris.....there's an "X-ray" hybrid, as well as others with solid body color
Wow! I still can't get over just how many different kinds of fish there are, and how many I still have never heard of ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back