How long would beneficial bacteria last in a canister filter, removed & left full of water???

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just curious if the beneficial bacteria in a cycled canister filter, removed & left full of water, would stay alive for a while ( would it compare to a bottle of the bacteria you can add to your tank???

I bought a couple of these... https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-P...fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

when I started up my tanks after a 20 year break, & I hated them... they functioned well, but I did not like them inside the tanks where I could see them... right now I'm setting up 2 new tanks for breeding Tilapia, & I pulled out these filters, just to circulate the water I put in the tanks to test for leaks, from my storage, they were still full of water, but had been on the shelf for a couple months... I'm wondering if I gained any beneficial bacteria into the newly set up tanks, running them in that condition & if it would be worth saving them in that condition when I put the new filters on the tanks, & these go back into storage... to use them again, down the road on the next tank to get set up, or if the bacteria dies right away, & there is no benefit, & I'd be better off storing them clean & dry???>

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If the filter media is clean and the water was well oxygenated before the filter stopped, and the temperature wasn't too hot, the bacteria could survive for a couple of days. However, if the filter media was full of gunk and it was a warm day, you could lose all the bacteria in a matter of hours.

The beneficial filter bacteria are aerobic (requiring oxygen) and cool clean water holds more oxygen than warm dirty water. So a clean filter will allow the bacteria to survive a bit longer compared to a dirty filter.

... in this case, the filters were removed, when they were replaced, & had a canister & filter floss insert ( not the paper micron filter in them )... so clean enough to be fully functional, but not disassembled, cleaned & refilled with water

so there is definitely something different in the bottles of bacteria they sell??? that may sit on a shelf for 3 -6 ??? Months in a sealed bottle with little to no air...

The bacteria in a bottle has been put to sleep and are dormant. They are also meant to be kept cold but not all shops refrigerate them.

this would be kind of a rabbit hole, but would it be possible to the bacteria to sleep, that are in a filter... so you could always have one ready, if the need arises???

I did just purchase this... to put in just prior to adding the breeders to the tanks
but I had hoped my too busy lifestyle ( to properly deal with the filters, before putting them away ) would add "some" beneficial bacteria to new tanks as I restart them...

but I'm guessing if I just left these established filters running on an empty aquarium the bacteria colonies would diminish to nothing, if no fish were in the tank... however I could likely continue to feed the filters with an ammonia starter solution... & if they were in even a 5 or 10 gallon tank, it wouldn't take much solution to feed them???

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back