How high can bettas jump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been considering leaving the lid of my tank off since it darkens the tank a lot, it's in the way for feeding and maintenance, and my water line is always lower anyways. I might have done it without thinking too hard about it, but the other day I had food in my tweezers held above the water and I looked away one instant and the next my betta had jumped out of the water and eaten it. My water length is at least a whole length of my betta and a half, possibly two, but now I'm wondering just how high he could jump. He's very active and always exploring, though he's never jumped without food motivation. Is removing the lid a good idea? I'm very fond of him so if there's a sliver of a chance he could jump out and harm himself I won't do it

They will jump out of the tank if theres no lid. If you dont have the lid lower the water level a few inches, but that will mean less room for him to swim

I had a lid with a half inch gap for food in it... my betta girl jumped out of it and didnt survive.

A lid is a must.

I had one jump too:( he didnt make it

I have never had a betta jump on me before...

The only reason why a betta would want to, is because if the environment it is in isn’t suitable to support it. The 2 bettas I’ve had in my 10g lidless tank have never jumped.

The only reason why a betta would want to, is because if the environment it is in isn’t suitable to support it. The 2 bettas I’ve had in my 10g lidless tank have never jumped.
Bettas actually jump quite often :) you can even train them to jump through a hoop above the water level

They will jump out of the tank if theres no lid. If you dont have the lid lower the water level a few inches, but that will mean less room for him to swim
His water level is already below tank line, by like 4 or 5 inches maybe? He's like three so I'm not sure. I plan on adding salvinia anyways at a later date

His water level is already below tank line, by like 4 or 5 inches maybe? He's like three so I'm not sure. I plan on adding salvinia anyways at a later date
Okay that should be fine

This is not always true. My parameters are perfect, my girl Mimic still jumped. She was always very aggressive with food and always looking for food. She would jump as soon as she saw my fingers going near the feeder gap

My parameters on my betta tank btw. None of this has changed.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1587573099155.jpeg

Sometimes, fish jump. Something could spook them, they could be more hyperactive... all depends.

If you don't want the tank to be too dark, you can get some plastic divider or mesh to cover the tank.

Just make sure the plastic is heavy enough and the holes are not too big.

Refer to the attached file.

Attachments

• Plastic divider.JPG
    Plastic divider.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 57
Oh, yes.
Acrylic is a good idea. You can also buy from the fish store as the acrylic is used as fish tank divider.

Another option is glass. Some fish tanks come with glass for the top cover.

These are really good ideas! I'll probably use glass so it doesn't make my room too humid through the mesh. It will have wait until his tank reno

I don’t really recommend acrylic as a tank divider, because the betta can’t see it. Hence, when he charges at another betta, he will hit the clear acrylic and could quite possibly injure himself.

I don’t really recommend acrylic as a tank divider, because the betta can’t see it. Hence, when he charges at another betta, he will hit the clear acrylic and could quite possibly injure himself.
They mean to use it as a lid, not a divider.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back