How External Filters Fit Into The Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke_e

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to post some pictures of how you set up your external filter in your tank.
I am clueless to how they work, and if it its two pipes, one to suck the water into the filter and one to put it back into the aquarium, dont fish swim into the pipes?
Cheers.

Are you talking about canister and sump type filters? If so I believe it's basically a tube with a straner like a HOB has and a tube to put it back in the tank sort of like a powerhead and you can get spray bars I think so it's not so hard. I think that's how it goes, those who have one correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure I am somhwere but I just use internal and HOB.

Austin

The one that sucks up the water (intake) is usually on one side of the tank, and then the outlet is usually in the form of a spary bar on the other side of the tank.

The fish really can't swim into the pipes as you can see from the pictures below:

What tank do you have ?

eheim400430.jpg
eheim400431.jpg

Atmmachine - Cheers, I'm talking about external canisters like eheim.

BLoo - I have a rio 125, currently using the internal filter but i'm thinking of upgrading, not sure yet.
Thanks for the pics though, i see how it works now.

An eheim 2213 for about £50 all inclusive brand new would be great then :good:

All inclusive? So thats media, spray bars etc? Sounds great, might get one next month. What are they like for noise levels? Also, what happens if there is a power cut or loss of power, as i've heard of peoples rooms being flooded due to their external filters.
Thanks.

Yep all inclusive. Charterhouse currently has it for £47.95 but then you have to add a few ££'s for postage - or just buy some food to bump the order up to £50 and postage is free.

Or check with your lfs. Mine was £49 all inclusive. Media the lot. Though the standard spray bars are green and not opaque as the pics I've shown you.

Ps: noise level ? There is no noise level ;) Unless your spray bar is positioned above the water line so that the water "cascades" into the tank.

Edit: can't say I've seen my tank flood when I've switched everything off to fiddle with the decor or plants :dunno: so don't see that as an issue.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back