How Does Aquarium Salt Detoxify Nitrites?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Title says it all. Was reading up an article on how Prime works, to detoxify Chlorine and Ammonia, and was just curious on how salt works to detoxify salt.

Thanks

DL

Nitrites main negative effect is to stop the oxygen-carrying blood cells working properly, hence why fish gasp at the surface.

But it also stops the chloride cells in the gills from working, and these are needed by the fish to maintain the correct balance of salts.

Aquarium salt (plain sodium chloride) competes with the nitrite for uptake by the chloride cells, so less nitrite can effect them.

Source: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/toxic.shtml (at the bottom).

Read that article carefully. An ounce or two of salt would be a lifetime supply in the quantities it takes for salt to be effective. It is decidedly not measured in teaspoons per gallon or even per 10 gallons.

Yep, which just raises further questions :hyper:.

I used aquarium salt as standard at one point :rolleyes:. Granted, I was 9. Then I stopped using it because I was told it could kill my corys, an I had a mysterious death around that point in time :lol:. Again remember, I was 9 lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back