How do you take fish out without putting water in tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've seen in discussion that you shouldn't add store water to the tank when putting in new fish. I get it, but how would you do that? The net is too big to fit in the bag to only scoop the fish out. I don't understand how you would get the fish out without adding the water they come with. I'd like to try next time I get livestock to do this though.

Or-

Put a bit of tank water into a bucket then open the bag and pour it into the bucket. The you can net out fish. This helps a lot if one has multiple tanks and more than one fish in the bag and they will be going into different tanks. If they all are going inot the sdame tank use a bigger net and scoop them all out in one go.

This way the net wont fall into the bucket as you pour and you cannot miss the net and pour the fish into an empty bucket.

But if you can figure out the trick to making sure the net stays in place - then pouring into it works great

If you are adding fish to a tank, then you can add the water too. If there are diseases in the water, the fish will have them as well.

If you don't want to add pet shop water to your tank, that is fine. Either do as the others suggested (net over bucket) or fold the open end of the bag over your fingers and tip out most of the water into a bucket. Then pour the fish and remaining water into the tank.

If you are adding fish to a tank, then you can add the water too. If there are diseases in the water, the fish will have them as well.

If you don't want to add pet shop water to your tank, that is fine. Either do as the others suggested (net over bucket) or fold the open end of the bag over your fingers and tip out most of the water into a bucket. Then pour the fish and remaining water into the tank.
That does make sense. I always thought that just removing the water wouldn't remove the toxins.

I cannot agree with allowing store tank water to get into the home tank, be it a quarantine tank or the display. There are pathogen and things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate that you do not want (or should not want) into your tank. Bag water can be very high in these. There are some aquarists who will not even move water from one of their own tanks to another; I knew a marine biologist who has reasons for not allowing this. Not all pathogens will move with the fish. And since the issue is so easily resolved, I do not understand anyone wanting to cut corners with a risk looming. Another thread only today had planaria in the bag of fish; I'm not going to dump that into a home tank. And while planaria are large enough to be seen, sometimes, other things are not.

I never add bag water to my tanks. It's a net over a bucket or a jar, and a quick dunk for me.

Yes. some pathogens can be on or in the fish in minute quantities. There can be a lot of it in a fish bag. Meds, fright hormones, with Corys, poisons, ammonia, etc. When I worked with a wholesaler/importer, I didn't transfer water with the fish I brought home, even though I knew conditions there were excellent. It's one of those things you can do a hundred times and have go wrong once. It's so easy to avoid that once.

freeswimming stage of parasites belong down the drain, not in my tank, just my opinion. Of course if I doubt the source I dip the fish in saltwater before it goes in the tank. I don't buy fish where I doubt the source anymore, and all new purchases go straight to quarantine for a month or 2

freeswimming stage of parasites belong down the drain, not in my tank, just my opinion. Of course if I doubt the source I dip the fish in saltwater before it goes in the tank. I don't buy fish where I doubt the source anymore, and all new purchases go straight to quarantine for a month or 2
Agree until "down the drain" *On the lawn not drain, specially not a rain water/ storm drain, if you don't have a lawn/ plants at least tip it down the toilet so it *hopefully if in UK * gets treated. Don't risk introducing anything foreign to wild water ecosystem. Used tank/bag water is great for the garden too!

My drain goes to my septic tank. and yes, I drain the fish tank to a flowerbed, except the one where the hose goes to the bathtub.
We are so water poor I declined to connect to city sewer years ago, only thing keeping my big elm alive is my drain field and that lot is like a desert otherwise.

My drain goes to my septic tank. and yes, I drain the fish tank to a flowerbed, except the one where the hose goes to the bathtub.
We are so water poor I declined to connect to city sewer years ago, only thing keeping my big elm alive is my drain field and that lot is like a desert otherwise.
I wasn't trying to patronise or chastise you, I was just clarifying for Violet and other silent users reading this thread :)

I wasn't trying to patronise or chastise you, I was just clarifying for Violet and other silent users reading this thread :)
I have a relatively thick skin and my water situation is unusual. I recognize that many locations what goes down the drain ends up in the lake. If I connected to city sewer it would go to a water treatment plant first and then end up in a lake. I pay good money for water and I keep it all. (and I really pay a lot for water.) So no offense taken.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back