How do you root clippings?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have some Hygrophila polysperma that is growing like mad. Very tall. The stems have all these little hair like threads growing, that I'm assuming are roots. In the past, I have just cut the stem and stuck it in the sand. I have had little luck with any of these clippings though.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or should be doing instead?

Try cutting the stem so that there are roots still attached, this will give the plant a way of feeding until it recovers from the shock. Instead of cutting horizontally, clip vertically, retaining follage, stem and roots. Also make sure that there are at least the same amount of roots as there is leaves.

My hygo regrows from single leaves floating on the surface of the water. After a week or so the leaf develops a small root and it grows from there. Given enough light you should have no problems with this plant. Try taking a cutting and letting it float in the ftank free until roots start forming. A possibility is that the lighting is not strong enough to get down to the lower layers of the tank. As cuttings are short (usually) they may not be getting enough light. The taller plants shouldn't have so much of a problem as they are closer to the surface. Are your parent plants long and spindly? Do the lower leaves die off? This could be an indication of low light. If you want bushy plants ensure that you nip out the growing tip so promoting side shoots and bushiness. Another tip would be to cut the cutting a little longer than you need and plant it deeper into the substrate, burying the first couple of leaves. This will help anchor the plant in place while the cutting roots.

WK

When you make cuttings, cut below a leaf junction, and cut cleanly with sharp clean tools. This rewduces damage to the stem, and allows the plant to recover from the damage. Let the cutting float for a few days before you try planting it this, again allows the plant to seal the end.

"Nipping off" with the finger nails crushes the stems, then sticking the crushed stems into the substrate invites bacteria and fungal attack into the freshly made wound, which not unsurprisingly rots.

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I was just cutting them with scissors and raming it in the sand. Not surprisingly, it would rot away.

When leaves break off, they tend to wilt away if I leave them floating too long. I do have very poor lighting (1 20 watt bulb for a 36 gal tank) but the original plant is doing very well. I want to up the lights, but my hood only has room for 1 bulb. Maybe for Christmas :santa:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back