How do you quarantine a plant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The fish does appear to have white spot so do a huge water change and gravel clean asap and get the temperature to 30C asap. You can raise the temp now and do a massive water change tomorrow. Just make sure the new water is a similar temperature (30C) and free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank. The water temperature has to be 30C tho, anything less will not work.

If you have trouble getting the temperature that high, insulate the back, base and sides of the tank with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam (available from pet shops or online). Just tape it to the outside of the tank.

You can also put a coverglass on the tank if you don't have one. Use glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick. The thinner glass (2 and 3mm thick) chips and cracks more easily.

If the temp still doesn't go up enough, put some polystyrene on the front of the tank and close the doors and windows of that room to help trap heat.

-------------------
Leave the plant/s in the tank. If they brought in the disease, well it's too late to bother doing anything with them because the fish is already infected.

Plants don't normally introduce diseases but can if the plants are kept in tanks with fish. Then the disease organisms can be on the plants or in the water that is on the plants and it gets introduced into your tank that way.

If you want to learn more about white spot, check out the following link. Post #1 and #16 are worth a read.

The fish does appear to have white spot so do a huge water change and gravel clean asap and get the temperature to 30C asap. You can raise the temp now and do a massive water change tomorrow. Just make sure the new water is a similar temperature (30C) and free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank. The water temperature has to be 30C tho, anything less will not work.

If you have trouble getting the temperature that high, insulate the back, base and sides of the tank with 1 inch thick polystyrene foam (available from pet shops or online). Just tape it to the outside of the tank.

You can also put a coverglass on the tank if you don't have one. Use glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick. The thinner glass (2 and 3mm thick) chips and cracks more easily.

If the temp still doesn't go up enough, put some polystyrene on the front of the tank and close the doors and windows of that room to help trap heat.

-------------------
Leave the plant/s in the tank. If they brought in the disease, well it's too late to bother doing anything with them because the fish is already infected.

Plants don't normally introduce diseases but can if the plants are kept in tanks with fish. Then the disease organisms can be on the plants or in the water that is on the plants and it gets introduced into your tank that way.

If you want to learn more about white spot, check out the following link. Post #1 and #16 are worth a read.
I did get the moss from a store that had a bunch of other fish in it. I honestly didn't even think about fish sicknesses, I was just excited about finding the plant.
The tank generally keeps the heat pretty well, would putting warm water that's that temp work? I'm sure I can get tap water warmed up enough..? Is there anything I should add to the water other than a conditioner? also you mentioned about the water being free of chlorine, I'm pretty sure my water doesn't have that issue, but is there a way to make sure? Should it come down to it, what would be medicine I'd need? Thanks so much.

Last edited:
You need to have the aquarium water remain at 30C continuously otherwise the parasites just breed faster and kill all the fish.

The heat will kill the parasites so you don't need to add any chemicals to the tank.

New tap water needs to be dechlorinated before it's added to the tank.
You can contact your water supply company by phone or website and see if they add chlorine or chloramine. Most places in Australia use chlorine. A lot of places in the USA use chloramine.

You need to have the aquarium water remain at 30C continuously otherwise the parasites just breed faster and kill all the fish.

The heat will kill the parasites so you don't need to add any chemicals to the tank.

New tap water needs to be dechlorinated before it's added to the tank.
You can contact your water supply company by phone or website and see if they add chlorine or chloramine. Most places in Australia use chlorine. A lot of places in the USA use chloramine.
I really appreciate all your help thank you. Now that the water needs to stay at 85/30 I just repeat the process for a weekly water change? Also I'm pretty sure my filter cartage has carbon in it, that won't effect anything?

Also I believe I saw on that link you provided that ich dies in two weeks with no host fish, so if my cycling tank has the plant that might have caused the issue should I do anything for that?

The temperature has to be 86F not 85F. The 1 degree does make a difference.

Carbon can stay in the filter because you aren't using chemicals. If you were adding liquid medications to treat the disease, then you would have to remove the carbon so it doesn't remove the medication.

Just leave the plant in the tank without any fish for 2 weeks and it will be free of white spot after that.

The temperature has to be 86F not 85F. The 1 degree does make a difference.

Carbon can stay in the filter because you aren't using chemicals. If you were adding liquid medications to treat the disease, then you would have to remove the carbon so it doesn't remove the medication.

Just leave the plant in the tank without any fish for 2 weeks and it will be free of white spot after that.
I meant 86 not sure why I put 85. Anyways, alright thanks.

Should I do a water change on that tank after the 2 weeks then?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back