How do I get rid of hair algae

jonatheber

Reaction score
I have a tank with live plants and a fluval light at 25% for about 1 1/2 hours a day ant at about 70% for about 4 hours a day. I have hair algae I keep plucking out of the tank... I have three Ottos and guppies in the tank, and they basically ignore the stuff. Does anything actually eat it? If I turn the light way down for a few days will it go away without killing off the live plants? Other suggestions?

Ellabee

Reaction score
Hi. I hate that hair algae. I would like to find a solution because I have the same problem. It often starts in a new setup . It can also come on new plants from store. I’ve learned to rinse all of the plants really well before putting them in my planted tank. I am constantly doing water changes and adding stress zyme for the algae control. And it’s really upsetting because I have a tank with longfin electric blue rams that I am trying to breed. I don’t know what to do because I’m never gonna get any eggs if the brown hair algae keeps taking over. Not to mention this particular algae can contaminate the eggs. I am so sick of algae . I don’t have algae in my larger tanks that have canister filters but they have a UV light inside of those. The every other tank is covered in algae.

Ellabee

Reaction score
Hi. I hate that hair algae. I would like to find a solution because I have the same problem. It often starts in a new setup . It can also come on new plants from store. I’ve learned to rinse all of the plants really well before putting them in my planted tank. I am constantly doing water changes and adding stress zyme for the algae control. And it’s really upsetting because I have a tank with longfin electric blue rams that I am trying to breed. I don’t know what to do because I’m never gonna get any eggs if the brown hair algae keeps taking over. Not to mention this particular algae can contaminate the eggs. I am so sick of algae . I don’t have algae in my larger tanks that have canister filters but they have a UV light inside of those. The every other tank is covered in algae.
Oh I want to add that many people use snails for algae control.

Circus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My Florida Flagfish eat hair algae, but they don't get along with many fish. Your best bet is to adjust light/ferns. Hair algae is usually from too strong or too much light.

OP
J

jonatheber

Reaction score
My Florida Flagfish eat hair algae, but they don't get along with many fish. Your best bet is to adjust light/ferns. Hair algae is usually from too strong or too much light.
How low SHOULD I go? I mean, the Fluval is only on for about 6 hours a day at partial light. I'm considering turning it on brighter for 5 hours or so, and completely off for the rest of the time, to see if that gives the plants enough light but controls the algae.

Circus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How low SHOULD I go? I mean, the Fluval is only on for about 6 hours a day at partial light. I'm considering turning it on brighter for 5 hours or so, and completely off for the rest of the time, to see if that gives the plants enough light but controls the algae.
Each aquarium and plant has slightly different nutritional and light needs, so you could try that for 7 days and adjust accordingly. It takes me a few months with each aquarium to get it just right.

Lajos_Detari

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Try some algae eaters such as Mollies, Platies or Siamese Algae eaters(if your tank is big enough)

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Try some algae eaters such as Mollies, Platies or Siamese Algae eaters(if your tank is big enough)

Huh. I have a tank with mollies and platies (and a pleco), but the mollies and platies are not algae eaters.

Lajos_Detari

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Huh. I have a tank with mollies and platies (and a pleco), but the mollies and platies are not algae eaters.
You are right. I think they have better food to eat that they won't touch the algae.

What is your light wattage?
I guess one method is to reduce the light brightness. The light brightness affect the algae the most.

I have a 2ft, 6W LED light. The algae is very minimal and I also have a Pleco and shrimps in the tank.
But my plants are Java Moss and Anacharis Elodea(low light requirements).
I turned on the light for 9 hours per day.

Another of my tank has a 16W LED light but I reduce the light to the lowest.( 10 steps).
It has more algae.

Also, add some fast growing plants such as Anacharis and Hornworts to compete with the algae. These plants will remove the nutrients in the water and compete with the algae.

Last edited:

trending

Staff online

Most reactions - Past 7 days