how did you get into fish keeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi all. as i was introduced to fish keeping by my older brother i am curious to know how you were all introduced to fish keeping and would like to know where you all started off.

Jealousy believe it or not.She got a fish,I wanted one so I bought one of those little 0.7 gallon betta things and a betta.Betta died and it took.I started getting into it.next tank was 1 gallon,then 5 gallon.then 10 gallon peaked there and I got more 5 gallons then a 20 gallon tub and now a 60 gallon.

a friend has a 120 gallon and said i should get fish, i have a 20 gallon tall that was for my hamster but now he is in a 40 gallon breeder and he loves it in there! so i am hopefully getting a heater and filter for the 20 gallon tomorrow.

I fell in love with a black moor in a pet shop when I was three, so my grandad bought it for me. Its name was Oggle Boggle and it lived for a short while in a plastic bow fronted 50l tank (it was the 1970s; it was lucky to have that, tbh!), with no filtration; not even an air pump, and my mum used to put the fish in a jug and scrub the whole tank out in the sink once a week. Oggle Boggle sadly didn't live very long, but we had a couple of fantails after that that managed to survive about five years :/

Then I went to visit an uncle when i was about seven and he had a tropical tank. I fell instantly in love with his neon tetras, but I didn't actually get any tropical fish for years, as everyone told me they were terribly, terribly delicate and expensive (I suppose they were in those days!).

the only fish i've kept are bettas. i've told this story in posts before, but like the other few members here i wasn't doing it very well. it wasn't intentional, of course, but my mother and i could've researched beforehand and we didn't. they were put in either a small little "betta tank" that was part of a kit or in little bowls. no heating, no filtration, and they were rarely cleaned. just about a year ago i found out what i had been doing whilst getting into researching other animals as well and rushed to get my current betta into a bigger spare tank my brother had used for his bearded dragon when it was younger. sadly i didn't ever manage to treat his illnesses that probably came from the store conditions and/or my own care, though he did last a really long while with them. nothing wanted to work, and i'm not sure why. a month or so ago i came home and when i went up to his tank he didn't swim up to see me. normally he would because i had been covering his tank with a towel (for velvet) as well as fasting him (for bloating of some kind?) and he would know when i was there. i immediately knew what happened, and after searching for a minute there he was, completely gone. i feel horrible still, but in fretting over him and even having him pass possibly due to my own irresponsibility, i've learned a lot. learning about bettas led to me learning about other fish as well, and i'd honestly love to have a planted freshwater community someday, though it would be a while. it's been a tough but interesting experience.

20 years ago my teenaged sons arrived home from the fair with 4 common goldfish in tiny plastic bags. They spent their first night in a mixing bowl in undechlorinated water. One of them didn't make it through the night. After a couple of weeks in unfiltered critter keepers we bought a 60 litre tank on the advice of the shop. We had no internet back then, just a few out of date books from the library (eg water changes are bad, do them once a month if you really have to; don't do a water change for at least a week before going on holiday in case the water change kills the fish while you are away :confused: ) 9 months later the fish had grown so big we gave them away to someone with a pond, I bought a heater and replaced them with tropical fish.
We finally got broadband in 2004 (our exchange was low down on their list of priorities) and I've been educating myself ever since.

The kids wanted a dog. We live in a city, so I thought it would be hard on the dog (lack of roaming space) and neighbours (noise).

Yes, we eventually got a dog but he actually went to live on a farm (with my mother) once it became obvious a small suburban backyard was not a happy place with a large dog (he wasn't supposed to grow as big or boisterous as he did).

We got a fish tank. We lost a lot of fish due to poor pet store advice. I got educated. I got more tanks...

My mom set up a tank for me when I was four. This did not last very long as four year olds are bad about dropping candy into the tank... Not me, it was my friends, I swear mommy.

I did not have another for about a decade. At 14, I did better however, we did not research fish enough, a baby Jack Dempsey in a 20g :( , and then my thoughts turned towards girls and video games.

Next, around 15 years later, my then fiance wanted to set up a tank that she was given for free. We were keeping 4 different tanks within 6 months. This lasted for almost 3 years, until we, now ex-wife and I, separated.

Now, it's been almost a decade since my last stretch as a fish keeper and I'm looking at getting back into it. I keep looking at different possible community set ups and trying to decide which I like better. I'm definitely giving more consideration and research into what will thrive in my local water conditions. I actually enjoy thinking up different community make ups. To bad I don't currently have 6 different tanks ready to go :)

Started off with some goldfish and bettas here and there, neglected them pretty badly just out of ignorance. Finally got a 30 gallon tropical tank 7 years ago, actually did some research and had some moderate success (had 4 widow tetras that almost hit the 5 year marker). Sadly, all my fish died when the moving company cracked the tank. The makeshift setup I had with a bucket and air pump just wasn't enough to keep the fish alive in the long term.

Fast forward from that tragedy 2 more years, finally decided to give it another go. Got a 16 gallon bow-front this time. Unfortunately I've been having supremely bad luck with this one. I think the LFS has just had bad stocks, because my retention rate is only 50% right now. The fish that did survive are doing great but multiple have died within 2 weeks of leaving the store due to parasites, etc.

tbh was watching random youtube videos and one of the king of diy videos came up on the recommended videos to watch. So l started watching his videos then went to aquarium co ops videos then went to aqua pros and a whole list of other aquarium youtube channels. After that l wanted some fish and started my hobby:nod::nod::nod::nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back