How Deep For Sand

Richard22b

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
I'm just putting sand into my tropical tank but unsure exactly how deep to make it.

Can anyone reccomend a depth?
 
1 inch maybe 1.5 to 2 inch ant deeper and you could cause toxic gases that gets trapped under the sand
 
Had thoughts of plants but im unsure. I've put an inch in at mo so I'll stick to that. thanks for the info both.
 
To be honest, i don't think you would need more than 3 inches. 2 is generally ample for live plants and anchoring rocks and other decor :)

James
 
it partly depends on the tank setup (cichlids only need a thin layer) but make it as deep as you want. I have seen substrate up to 12" before.
 
mine is 4/5" at the back graduating to 2" at the front ive always done that with any substrate and if you look at lfs that use substrate they do it too
 

Most reactions

Back
Top