How can I remove this algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Seb2502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 6 gallon aquarium has been overtaken by what I think is green hair algae. The tank has a ph of 7.6-7.8 and the Gh is very low the Kh is quite high. There is soil under the gravel substrate. I have 3 young blue dream shrimp in there Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re eating the algae. Iā€™ve tried turning the lights off for over 24 hours multiple times and still nothing I donā€™t know what else to do. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 107
it's green filamentous algae.

try to remove as much manually as you can.
reduce the nutrients to reduce the algae. do big daily water changes for a week or two.

you might not get rid of it if there is nutrients leaching from the soil.

I had an algae bloom in my tank and tried everything to get rid of it , I ended up using JBL symec micro filter in the last part of my filter and cleared it in a few days , it chokes pretty quickly so you need to change it after about 24 hours but it's cheap and you get a big sheet so you can cut it to your filter size and you dont need to do excessive water changes . I have a piece in my filter all the time now and change it once a week

Try to reduce lighting and nutrients if you haven't tried that already. You could test for phosphates and if it's high, put in a phosphate absorber for a while. Phosphates contribute to algae blooms. You could also put in some frogbit or something to soak up some nutrients.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back