How can I remove this algae

Seb2502

Reaction score
My 6 gallon aquarium has been overtaken by what I think is green hair algae. The tank has a ph of 7.6-7.8 and the Gh is very low the Kh is quite high. There is soil under the gravel substrate. I have 3 young blue dream shrimp in there I’m not sure if they’re eating the algae. I’ve tried turning the lights off for over 24 hours multiple times and still nothing I don’t know what else to do. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 53

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
it's green filamentous algae.

try to remove as much manually as you can.
reduce the nutrients to reduce the algae. do big daily water changes for a week or two.

you might not get rid of it if there is nutrients leaching from the soil.

Kevt1970

Reaction score
I had an algae bloom in my tank and tried everything to get rid of it , I ended up using JBL symec micro filter in the last part of my filter and cleared it in a few days , it chokes pretty quickly so you need to change it after about 24 hours but it's cheap and you get a big sheet so you can cut it to your filter size and you dont need to do excessive water changes . I have a piece in my filter all the time now and change it once a week

hansgruber7

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Try to reduce lighting and nutrients if you haven't tried that already. You could test for phosphates and if it's high, put in a phosphate absorber for a while. Phosphates contribute to algae blooms. You could also put in some frogbit or something to soak up some nutrients.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online